Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sometimes when I am working with my 4 month old lab puppy she has trouble paying attention. Any tips on how to keep her attentio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes when I am working with my 4 month old lab puppy she has trouble paying attention. Any tips on how to keep her attentio

Sometimes when I am working with my 4 month old lab puppy she has trouble paying attention. Any tips on how to keep her attention?

Hey tybostev5,

Congrats on the new puppy! Keep in mind that a four month old pup's attention span is very, very short. They aren't able to work at extended sessions or understand complex training.

*keep training sessions short -- like 5-10 minutes max

*keep it simple -- easy commands to follow and carry out

*Keep it positive -- lots of praise for doing something right; very little, if any, corrections...just ignore the wrongdoing and praise the proper actions

*Set yourself up for success -- don't give the dog too many options; set up exercises so that the dog naturally does what's right and succeeds.

*Keep the training area sterile -- not like clean (althought that's important) but sterile in no distractions. Puppies are curious, so do your training in the same spot with few things that can divert the pup's attention; no kids playing, no other pets, cars, etc around.

Do everything to keep that focus on you, make your time count, keep it short and successful with lots of praise!

Good luck!

Brian

Comment

Excellent advice, Brian. Young dogs are like little kids and need a lot of patience.

Comment

yes ,sir I had the same thoughts in the first sentence{WORKING+4MONTH OLD}. givem the first year,then you get rest,of my 6p's being* playful* and take the time to enjoy maybe the most important to learn.

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Hi...

And don't forget...very important...reward your dog's good behavior with a food tid bit...!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget