Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone planning to use a dog for fall turkey hunting this year? If so, what breed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone planning to use a dog for fall turkey hunting this year? If so, what breed?

Anyone planning to use a dog for fall turkey hunting this year? If so, what breed?

I love turkey dogging it only took one season, that would be last year to get me hooked. My dog is a Vizsla there are some of his puppy pics in my profile. There would be more of him and his turkeys but OL will not let me load them up without a Facebook page which I don't have.
    If you Google "turkey dog hunting with charlie elk" a wide variety of my posts and pictures on this subject will come up.
    later,
    charlie

Comment

So far I have one turkey dog story on my personal site
      www.charlieelk.com/category/turkey/fallturkey/
      If an administrator at OL would like to contact me and explain how I can do a post like this here I would be more than happy to do so.
      More fall turkey hunting to come, I am working on an article-
      Got Bird Dog Think Turkey
      later,
      charlie

Comment

Don't know if it is legal to use dogs for Turkeys in Missouri but doesn't sound like much fun to me Charlie.

Comment

Fritzthecat, you are correct, turkey hunting with dogs is not allowed in Missouri. Too bad, you are missing out. It looks like a lot of fun.

Comment

Charlie, I have come across some of your postings and was hoping you would respond. I have a Brittany pup that might be old enough to run some birds this fall, we are going to try it anyway. I will be training him for upland and turkey, we will see how it goes. It just amazes me that more people aren't doing this. Fall turkey hunting is hard, but it is a blast. The dog aspect only adds another level of appeal. Any tips you have would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

Hey Turkey Hunter 39 welcome to small world of turkey dogging sounds like you'll fit right in. Many turkey doggers use Britneys as a matter of fact any dog interested in birds can be trained for turkey hunting. Apparently you already enjoy the fall hunt, this is good because it is much tougher that spring turkey hunting and by fall hunting you will become a much better spring hunter. A fall hunter must study turkeys in much more detail.
              Friends, Jon Freis (check out his website dedicated to turkey dogs www.turkeydog.org ) & Steve Hickoff got me into turkey dogging. Steve wrote and excellent book Fall and Winter Turkey Hunters Handbook check it out.
              There is so much to turkey dogging I am not sure where to start with tips.
              Vic was 9 months when I started him we had success on opening day story is here www.charlieelk.com/2011/vics-first-turkey
              If you are going to use a dog for multiple species make sure when that game bird flushes you yell out its name your dog will begin to understand. When you go hunting you can then tell the dog turkey and he'll know to range wide, pheasant he knows to hold close.
              Let me know what other tips you like to hear about.
              later,
              charlie

Comment

Charlie, thanks for the reply. I am a member of the American Wild Turkey Hunting Dog Association, new member, and have talked to Jon several times. Jon was very helpful in helping me choose a dog. I will be picking up Steve Hickoff's book, it is on my literature list. You are absolutely correct that fall hunting makes you a better spring hunter. In the fall, you get to hear the turkey's full vocabulary. The fall is a great time to practice your calling, and more importantly, how to match the call to the situation at hand. Turkey dogging is a small world, but almost everyone that I encounter is interested in it. The common response is...."I have never heard of that.". I don't know that I want it to go mainstream, but it would be nice to have additional resources available for the new guys. Keep posting the material and I will keep reading, maybe even contribute some of my own. If my pup isn't ready this year due to age, he definitely will be next year. If anyone else is interested, don't sit on the fence, just ask. Turkey meat is even sweeter in the fall!

Comment

A few years ago I drove 16 hours out of state to bring a friend of mine who was in college archery hunting for the first time(first time hunting at all for anything besides rabbits). Since we were to far away from my farm and he did not know anyone with private land, we decided to go to public land. It was a 2500 acre property(all woods) and for three days straight the same three people had 6 dogs running around barking throughout the entire property looking for a turkey. On the second day we caught up with them at the parking lot when we went in to eat lunch and asked them if they could leave an area alone for me and my friend to hunt. They seemed nice, and showed us an area on the map that they would leave for us(was a nice big area, so we just agreed and headed straight out without even going into town to buy lunch). About 45 minutes later all three of them walked right past us(in the area they said they would leave alone), and when we walked up to them all they would say was "public land." On the third day we thought we caught a break because they were not in the parking lot that morning...but nope. 30 minutes after it got light they drove down a trail in 4 wheelers(It was illegal to ride them on this section of public land). We just gave up and called the police and they contacted a game warden who came out. Turns out all three of them werent even supposed to be hunting(warden wouldnt tell us why they lost lisenses). Needless to say we did not see a single deer(or turkey) and I have been unable to get him to try it again since....hopefully there are some respectful turkey hunters that use dogs(I know Charlie is one), but sadly this was the only encounter I have ever had with one.

Comment

JM those you describe were obviously lawbreakers and or poachers. We should take great care and never refer to them as hunters.
                    Turkey doggers do not use packs of hounds. The vast majority use one dog maybe 2 (an older trained dog and a younger being trained) that work closely together to find a flock. Then they charge for the break, hopefully they bark to let the hunter know the exact location so they can all setup and call the birds back in.
                    later,
                    charlie

Comment

Turkey hunter 39,
                      Welcome to the American Turkey Dog Association! Glad to have you as a member. I am sure Jon has given you a lot of very sound advice. When I was debating whether or not to get a turkey dog and what kind he was most kind, open and helpful. As a member you have access to a lot of very good information in the member section of the website. Make good use of it.
                      What state will you be hunting in?
                      later,
                      charlie

Comment

Charlie Elk
                        I have been all through that website and it is great. Read the pamphlet that Jon sends out as well. Most of my fall turkey hunting will be in KY and TN. Jon has extended an offer to come up to Wisconsin and I plan to take him up on it. I was very interested to read how versatile Vic is as far as hunting turkeys and upland game. That is what I am hoping to accomplish as well. Kentucky has two very short fall turkey seasons, 6-7 days in both October and December. Tennessee also has a short fall shotgun season, but a more liberal bag limit. My ace in the hole is a public hunting area that has a really long fall season and an amazingly liberal bag limit. All combined, I could run my Brittany for about 4 months...which is fantastic. I have access to some wild quail as well, so we are going to go the double duty route. It is funny to me how welcoming the turkey dogging community is, and how passionate the hunters are about their sport. Everyone has been unbelievably helpful. I feel like I have stumbled onto the best kept non-secret ever.

Comment

JM
                          I hate that you had a bad experience with some questionable hunters. I would say that conflict would most likely occur during archery season as the seasons will undoubtedly overlap. I will be hunting both public and private ground. The private ground is a non-issue, but I don't believe I would turn my dog loose on just any Wildlife Management Area (WMA). The public area that I will hunt is more regulated and it is not very likely that I would run into anyone else, if I do, they will be turkey hunting also. I also lease ground from time to time, and didn't renew a lease this year because of their dog policy. No harm, no foul..there is enough space for all of us. I wanted to do something different than the crowd, and so it wasn't a good match anymore. All forms of hunting has its time and place, and I have no desire to ruin someone else's hard earned hunting time. Hopefully your next encounter will be more positive. Happy Hunting.

Comment

As Charlie stated, I shouldn't of even called them hunters. Just 3 selfish poachers who thought they were more important than anything around them.
                            -I wish you and your dog luck in the upcoming hunting seasons. I hope someday I will the time to train a dog to hunt with me. I just do not think I could give a dog enough attention right now(I Work 60hrs/week over the summer and and still working on my degree).

Comment

Turkey hunters are arguably the most considerate sharing easy to get along with hunters of them all. That goes double for turkey doggers.
                              TH39, WI has no limit on fall turkey hunting you get as many as you have permits for and the season is 3 1/2 months long. Should you find your way to WI drop me a line and perhaps our paths will cross. To contact me just make a comment on my website or PM me on the other sites you see my posts on.
                              Check out the January turkey hunt at Fort Campbell, they allow dogs. Also some states allow dogs for spring hunting too. Jon has those posted on the turkey dog site.
                              You are right on about fall turkey tasting so much better.
                              How old is your pup?
                              At 4 months old I started getting Vic accustom to gunfire. A turkey dog must endure very close gunfire more so than any other hunting dog.
                              later,
                              charlie

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget