Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody got any wood duck houses out? how many do you manage? I've got 6. At least 3 have eggs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody got any wood duck houses out? how many do you manage? I've got 6. At least 3 have eggs.

Anybody got any wood duck houses out? how many do you manage? I've got 6. At least 3 have eggs.

Good for you! I don't have any wood duck habitat, but I do have bluebird boxes and a bat house.

Comment

Good job. We don't have any duck boxes, but we do have some of the scaled down versions for smaller birds(finches mainly).

Comment

If you're within 1/2 mile of a good size wetland I say put out a box by early Spring (next year)

Comment

I just put out a 7th one, it'll be ready for next year. I read 80 percent of natural nests get destroyed by raccoons etc. so i thought I would give it a try. After you put out one it gets kind of addicting knowing how much of an impact you could have on a local population so putting out more is hard not to do. here's a link to a box i just checked the other day, new youtubeuser so I hope it works,

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#inbox/1373cbad8ec2fe9c

Comment

well that link doesn't work and the other one isn't allowed by OL for some reason so sorry guess you can't view it. I'll try and figure it out.....

Comment

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhMyVfagvOA

Comment

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhMyVfagvOA

Comment

I've been messing around for a bit trying to get this to wotk. Hopefully that below link works.......

Comment

Link works; healthy looking nest. Sadly I am not in an area where these would be effective(I think nearest wetland is 30 miles away).

Comment

I dont know if they get used but some neighbors of mine put out boxes out on the lake I live one.

Comment

Wood duck boxes are great, but they can be tricky. Wood ducks have been known to lay eggs in other hens' nests in order to better the chance of their offspring surviving. Researchers have found over 40 eggs in one nest before, and when this happens hens will often abandon the nest. So don't put too many boxes on too small and acreage. Here are some articles that may help:

www.fwrc.msstate.edu/pubs/nest.pdf
                        www.fwrc.msstate.edu/pubs/ducklings.pdf
                        msucares.com/pubs/infosheets/is0643.pdf

These were written by Mississippi State University but the tactics can be applied anywhere.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X