Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This might sound a little weird, but is it very common to see mating turkeys? I was just wondering because my dad and I saw a co

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This might sound a little weird, but is it very common to see mating turkeys? I was just wondering because my dad and I saw a co

This might sound a little weird, but is it very common to see mating turkeys? I was just wondering because my dad and I saw a couple mating turkeys while we were scouting.

I've heard that when you set up a hen decoy and call in a gobbler that they will often attempt to get on it lol. In other words, when turkeys are gobbling that is all they want to do. It's not real common, but I have witnessed it while turkey hunting.

Comment

I have seen them mating on a few occasions, but even stranger, I have seen gobblers masturbating while the boss gobbler is mating. I wasn't sure what I was seeing until I read an article by a game biologist describing the activity.

Comment

Now that is something I have never heard of piney....very interesting.

Comment

Huh, from the other comments on here, you would think that it's fairly common. But I myself have never seen it, and I've only talked to a couple of guys who have. So maybe it's more common to see it in some areas of the country than others, for some reason.

Comment

JM--There's not much doubt what you're seeing. The tom will go into a sort of crouching half-strut and do a quick little dance in one place.

Comment

Game departments try to schedule hunting season after the majority of the hens are bred. Usually hens breed once and hold the sperm for about 3-4 months fertilizing the eggs as they lay them. Should a nest get destroyed hens can then re-nest without finding a tom. I've heard reports of hens re-nesting as late as August.
              The gobbling is usually peaking as the hunting seasons open because there are fewer hens needing to be bred making for more competition among the gobblers.
              So to answer the question it is possible to see mating turkeys during the season but not all that common.
              Hope you have a good hunt.
              later,
              charlie

Comment

maybe most are bashful,but I thought thats were all the little turkeys came from,since they roost at night it only leaves the day for breeding

Comment

I shot my first turkey, a 22 lb. 11" beard, 1.25" spurs off of a hen at around 5 yards.

Comment

I just saw a turkey couple mating this morning, Friday, May 5, 2017, the Feast of Cinco de Mayo at about 8:30 AM Central Time in northern Illinois. It was in a neighbor's front yard under some low hanging boughs of a fir tree. Wild turkeys have been frequenting our residential city streets for a long time now. I was driving slowly down our street on my way to a First Friday Mass at my church, when I turned a corner into side alley to take a shortcut because I was running late, and as I turned the corner, lo and behold... A wondrous sight. Totally unexpected to see in the city. This is a city of 150,000, the third largest city in the state of Illinois. It is a residential street within the city, but still.... Another turkey, that appeared to be an adult female, standing a few feet away, appeared to be standing guard so the couple would not be disturbed. This particular male turkey and the two adult females have been hanging out a lot together on our streets for some time now. No baby turkeys seen yet. But in past years, there have been a couple baby turkeys seen. The male has the most gorgeous sky blue head. After his coupling this morning, he strutted away with his wings widespread.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                      by jhjimbo
                      Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                      09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                    • Spur of the moment rifle
                      by Amflyer
                      I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                      09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                    • The $20 Shooting Shack
                      by fitch270
                      So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                      09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                    • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                      by dewman
                      one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                      09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                    • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                      by dewman
                      So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                      09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X