Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when is a good time to use a big decoy set up for turkeys? and about how many dekes to put out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RES1956
    replied
    I don't recall ever having used a decoy on a turkey that I personally killed, but each of my son's have used a B Mobile to take some birds, usually in a powerline or gas line right of way where the gobbler sees another gobbler and come to defend his turf.
    In the thick woods like Pineywoods said, visibility is so poor that they can't see 'em and if they do, they tend to hang up and strut out of range.

Leave a comment:

• Deerhunter25
    replied
    I agree with JM because i know people that thve killed turkeys with decoys. Threee is the max amount

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    I don't claim to be an expert on turkey hunting, but I've killed my share. Early in the season (obviously, it depends on how early "early in the season" is for you) decoys are not quite as effective, as the gobblers already have plenty of hens to hang out with. I do still use them early, as they can't hurt, I just don't put quite the effort into the set-up.
    But later in the year, they are invaluable, as by that time a lot of the hens are on nests, and the gobblers will often come running at the sight of anything that looks like a receptive hen.
    As far as size goes, I would say no more than 2 jake/gobbler dekes, and 2 or 3 hens, any larger spread is unnecessarily bulky to carry, and no more effective. I personally use 1 jake deke and 2 hens almost exclusively, and find that movement is the real key - if you can get at least one of the decoys to move a bit, whether with a string or the wind or whatever, it can be lethal.

Leave a comment:

• pineywoods
    replied
    I don't use decoys in the thick woods down here. Frequently, the gobbler will see the decoy and hang up, waiting for the decoy to come to him. I know they work fine in other areas.

Leave a comment:

• JM
    replied
    Pretty much any time you are turkey hunting is a good time to set up a decoy. I don't use decoys, but from what I have heard from friends they have had success using them in all seasons. As far as a number of decoys I would say 3 at the most.

Leave a comment:

• when is a good time to use a big decoy set up for turkeys? and about how many dekes to put out?

when is a good time to use a big decoy set up for turkeys? and about how many dekes to put out?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X