Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just got a new dog and am trying to teach him to stay. He knows sit and fetch, but any advice on stay? Any ad vice will be app

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got a new dog and am trying to teach him to stay. He knows sit and fetch, but any advice on stay? Any ad vice will be app

I just got a new dog and am trying to teach him to stay. He knows sit and fetch, but any advice on stay? Any ad vice will be appreciated. Thanks, Dovehunter2

Try using hand signals. Ex. Stop. Dogs can understand some sign language

Comment

First teach him to sit. Once he has that, you just add a bit more for “stay.” Get him to sit and then move in front of him and tell him to stay. I use my hand as you would to get someone to stop. (Palm out, like a traffic cop. You can even gently press his forehead as you give the command before backing up a bit.) If he stays even for just a bit, give him praise or a treat. Keep repeating it until it starts to make sense to him. If he starts to break, just give him a gentle reminder and start again. Make it fun and keep it short to save frustration for the both of you. If he is very young, he will have a short attention span. Also remember, his instinct will be to want to stay with you and he won’t understand at first. In time, you can increase the distance and time he will stay. If you get a ways from him and he starts to break, tell him to “come” and then go back and start again. A true test of your success will be to go around the corner, out of sight to see what he does.

Comment

try sitting him up on a table,repeat wait it won't take long

Comment

6point and autumn are right on and both are accepted methods of training. I would also suggest you try the library. There are some excellent books on training.

Comment

You tube Evan Graham's Smart Works videos. What kind of dog?

Comment

Freakin never reward a dog with a treat, these are commands, not request. Place the dog at sit and command 'Stay'. Move away and walk around him in a circle, all the while commanding 'Stay'. Begin to gradually move away from the dog and repeat the 'Stay' command. If the dog come to you after it has been commanded to stay, return it to spot it left from rather briskly and repeat the command to 'Stay'.
              What I suggest is building on what it knows. Put the dog on leash and walk it at heel. When you stop, it should sit. Incorporate a whistle to make it sit, command sit, blow the whistle. Then after it gets this, start blowing the whistle to make it sit on it's own. When you have whistle sits down (and this may take a couple weeks of training on a regular basis) then incorporate the stay command.
              Blow the whistle, drop the lead, command stay and move away from the dog. If it breaks and come to you, give the release command, 'come' and then return the dog to he original position and command it to stay. Move away from the dog again, commanding it to stay, and walking tight circles around the dog, repeat the stay command. Widen the circles and move away from the dog, rather briskly replacing it to the place you left it if he breaks.
              Soon you will be able to move away from the dog out of sight and it will stay.
              If this is a retrieving dog, be sure to incorporate the whistle on the sit command now, because when you are trying to get him to sit 200 yards away to take a cast, take my word for it, it will be beneficial.

Comment

hes a golden retriever and a collie.

Comment

Good stuff guys. See the Gun Dogs blog for Brian Lynn's response.

Comment

Some good stuff here guys. I posted up some comments on this week's blog. Just my two cents.

B

Comment

Hey DoveHunter,

Do yourself a favor and go find a copy of one Richard Wolters books. I like Game Dog because I train my lab retrievers for upland and waterfowl.

His approach is by far one of the best I have ever seen. From Puppy Selection to any hunting command you can think of, he cover's it. He's the best.

Comment

If you make him sit and slowly walk backwards with dog treats it will teach your dog to stay. You will have to work a lot with your dog to teach him.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget