No announcement yet.

How do I condition my turkey strikers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I condition my turkey strikers?

How do I condition my turkey strikers?

You don't usually have to do too much to strikers, but sometimes the tips can get too smooth, and if that's your problem then a few passes with medium- to fine-grit (~#160-#240) sandpaper should get you back in business.

Comment

Wood strikers frequently need attention more so than the pot call. Sandpaper, drywall screen or a knife blade scraped lightly across the end grain.

later,
      charlie

Comment

I use drywall screen.

Comment

Also I know a few people who carry along a piece of sandpaper/drywall screen while they are hunting just incase they need to touch it up.

Comment

You can also burn the striker end a little. That was the original method in the old days to make it bite better. I still burn a few strikers just for the different sound it gives them.
            later,
            charlie

Comment

Charlie Elk gives good advice; the old Lynch Jet Slate all had burnt striker tips. If the striker is wood, a little denatured alcohol will get the oil out of it to roughen it up some.

Comment

For some reason my response did not poise, so here we go again....

Hello, my name is Rich Leathers and I am a custom Call maker that specializes in high end pot-style friction calls.

1.) Never burn the tip of a striker. Lynch did this on his Jet calls and it was something he picked up from others years before him. The dynamics of those calls are much different from the design of the calls that we make today. Burning the tip of a striker greatly diminishes the potential for a striker to produce the best quality tone and ease of playability that it can produce. When wood burns it dries out, the wood fibers become very fragile as they are damaged. This is why the burning of the striker tips stopped in mass produced calls.

Comment

2.) The striker tip should be sanded as soon as your ear tells you the call is not performing up to par.

3.) Use 100-150 grit sandpaper to condition the tip of your striker. This works on both a standard tip and a mushroom flared tip. Hold the striker between your fingers with the tip facing the sky so that you can spin it between your fingers. Sand from the outside of the tip to the middle while slowly spinning the striker with your fingers. Go around once with domestic woods, twice with exotic hard woods.

Comment

4. The surface of your call should be conditioned as well. Slate and ceramic (slatec) use a maroon scrubby pad. Copper & aluminum - 60-80 grit sand paper. Glass and Crystal - conditioning stone from Brookside game calls. (looks like a toothbrush). When conditioning the playing surface, always make your strokes in the same direction from left to right, never in circles. Condition your call as soon as your ear tells you too. I condition my strikers and calls on almost a daily basis.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget