Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when hunting turkeys with a bow where on there body do you aim for??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when hunting turkeys with a bow where on there body do you aim for??

when hunting turkeys with a bow where on there body do you aim for??

Those feathers can be tricky, so I suggest you look at a few pictures(as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words). Ideally you would want to hit it in the neck. As fas as body shots go it depends on the angle. If the turkey is facing you aim just below where the neck ends(just above the beard on a male). When broadside I aim about half way up the body from where the legs are(A bit forward).

Comment

Unless you are a near-expert shot, or can consistently call them in to within 15 yards, I would stay away from head/neck shots, otherwise you're going to let yourself in for a lot of frustration.
      So when aiming for the body: When the bird's broadside, aim about halfway up the body, directly above the front edge of the thigh. When it's facing you, aim halfway between the beard attachment and the lower wattles on the neck.
      A word to the wise: Shot placement on strutting gobblers is much tougher than on non-strutting ones, so I would avoid strutting shots whenever possible, at least until you get some kills under your belt.

Comment

I agree with JM and would add if the turkey is strutting and turns away shoot up his vent. If his back is to you and not strutting arrow him in the back in between his wings.
        later,
        charlie

Comment

I aim for the head and neck. The target kill zone within the body is no larger than the head/neck and you are guessing where it is. Even a perfectly placed arrow in the body can result in a turkey taking flight. It's the neck or nothing, at least a miss is just a miss, and a hit is a dead bird that's easy to find!

Comment

It is difficult to pick a spot on a bird to aim for. Depending on the angle of the bird, the POI will vary greatly. Have had success with head shots and body shots but, if given a choice, I aim for the center of mass on a bird.

Comment

Bowhunter of turkeys, AKA: Glutten for punishment.
              (no crossbows or blinds allowed)

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X