Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a glass slate. I scraped off a spot with the sandpaper a few times, but it still doesnt work very well. Should I scrape o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a glass slate. I scraped off a spot with the sandpaper a few times, but it still doesnt work very well. Should I scrape o

I have a glass slate. I scraped off a spot with the sandpaper a few times, but it still doesnt work very well. Should I scrape off more or get a new call?

Try getting a new scraper. I know every once in a while my scrapers get oil on them because of a number of things (face paint, finger prints, etc.) and when this happens the scraper doesn't make enough friction with the slate. Try sanding the end of the scraper or get a new scraper. You can even make one with a dried corn husk. hope this helps

Comment

For a glass slate, the best thing is a piece of stone specially made for the purpose. Woodhaven makes one and I think Primos has one in a combination tool. I used sandpaper for years, but when I got one of these stone tools, the quality of calls from the glass slates improved 100%. A small medium to coarse grit whetstone might do the job, just try in in one small area first.

Comment

Try a small piece of drywall screen available at most hardware or building stores for pennies. Cut a piece about an inch square and rub across the glass in one direction leaving light grooves as the grain in wood would look. You can also use it to dress your synthetic strikers those are usually more the problem than the pot call surface.
        My favorite way to dress a wood striker is with my pocket knife pulling it across the grain of the striker's end. This clears the grain better than sandpaper giving it more bite.
        later,
        charlie

Comment

Hmm, that's interesting charlie, I've never heard of using drywall screen to condition calls, but I will have to keep that in mind.
          Otherwise, I agree with pineywoods, if sandpaper isn't cutting it for you then one of the specialty conditioning stones might be needed, I personally only find one necessary on crystal surfaces, not glass, but who knows.
          The other thing you could try is very lightly roughing up the end of you striker, sometimes if they get too smooth they won't "grip" the playing surface well enough.

Comment

huntfishtrap,
            Drywall screen was not an original idea of mine. I picked it from Scott Ellis of Woodhaven calls. They now include a small piece with all their pot calls as do many other quality call makers.
            The stones made for this purpose work OK too.
            I use both in order to put a different texture on each side of the pot. Gives you 2 different sounds from the same call.
            later,
            charlie

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Sisters.
              by 99explorer
              Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, within minutes of each other, in the same month and year, and yet they are not twins.
              How...
              Today, 09:32 AM
            • Rice for sale.
              by 99explorer
              A man can buy rice for $1 per pound in the U.S.A.
              He buys tons of the stuff, and sells it all in India for a nickel a pound.
              He soon becomes...
              08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
            • Strangers meet.
              by 99explorer
              A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
              They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
              No identification markers...
              08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
            • OU football
              by FirstBubba
              Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
              The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
              08-16-2019, 10:35 PM
            • True romance.
              by 99explorer
              A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, a beautiful girl named Sarah.
              The bus driver has to go on a long bus trip that will...
              08-16-2019, 09:11 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X