Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it good to have more than one turkey slate/strikers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it good to have more than one turkey slate/strikers?

Is it good to have more than one turkey slate/strikers?

I think it is good to own more than one. From what I have heard, every slate sounds different(you may not recognize the difference, but the turkey do).

Comment

Definitely. Get one slate and one glass caller with wood and synthetic strikers. You never know what a particular gobbler will want to get him cranked up on any given day.

Comment

You bet, maybe not more than one slate playing surface, but definitely at least two or three different strikers, and I carry a call with a crystal surface, and a call with an aluminum one as well. (I also carry two box calls, and actually like them best, but that's another story).
        As pineywoods said, there have been many times when a gobbler has hit on one of the calls but ignored the others, that's why it's so important to carry a variety of calls.
        Short answer, if they all sound different, carry as many as you can!

Comment

I can't say it any better than the others, but I definitely agree with 'em. I carry two slates. One is glass and the other aluminum. I have three strikers. One is carbon, the other aluminum and the third is wood. I carry two box calls and a pocket full of different diaphram calls. I also carry a wingbone, a crow call and an owl hooter.

Comment

You are on the right track- Every striker makes a different tonal sound. My preferred pot call is a slate and I carry at least a half dozen strikers all made from different wood. On wet days I resort to glass pot and carbon strikers. Metal pots are best for kee-kee calls.
            Good hunting.
            later,
            charlie

Comment

My vest weighs about 15 pounds, and it ain't cause I'm carrying lunch and water. Two thing you can never have enough of are firearms and when your turkey hunting, calls.
              I typically carry 3 pot calls and about 1/2 dozen srikers, a box, a tube, probably 20 diaphram yelpers, a crow call, goose call and 3 shells.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget