Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

would it be better to put my spread on the upstream or downstream side of an island in the middle of a medium sized river?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would it be better to put my spread on the upstream or downstream side of an island in the middle of a medium sized river?

would it be better to put my spread on the upstream or downstream side of an island in the middle of a medium sized river?

I think it depends on wind/where birds are coming in from. Hard to give you an answer without seeing the location with my own eyes =\.

Comment

Upstream. Get a little head start chasing a downed bird floating downstream.

Comment

I waterfowl hunt a river in my area on islands and have found they tend to land more on the upstream side and float down rather than land downstream and swim up. On one island we hunt they will land in the slack water downstream and swim up, but I'm assuming it is because this particular island sticks out into the river more like a pier than an island creating a large slack water pool down river.

Comment

Depends on where the wind is....Your birds will want to land into the wind and your decoy spread should accomidate birds from that direction. I like to place my decoys 20 yards down wind on an island and shoot as they "cup" into the spread.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• The new king.
            by 99explorer
            The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
            Now the twins are adults...
            Yesterday, 04:27 PM
          • Sisters.
            by 99explorer
            Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, within minutes of each other, in the same month and year, and yet they are not twins.
            How...
            Yesterday, 09:32 AM
          • Rice for sale.
            by 99explorer
            A man can buy rice for $1 per pound in the U.S.A.
            He buys tons of the stuff, and sells it all in India for a nickel a pound.
            He soon becomes...
            08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
          • Strangers meet.
            by 99explorer
            A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
            They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
            No identification markers...
            08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
          • OU football
            by FirstBubba
            Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
            The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
            08-16-2019, 10:35 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X