Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gonna go chase some ringnecks this weekend. My question is, 20 gauge 870 or 12 gauge 1100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonna go chase some ringnecks this weekend. My question is, 20 gauge 870 or 12 gauge 1100?

Gonna go chase some ringnecks this weekend. My question is, 20 gauge 870 or 12 gauge 1100?

20 gauge is easier to handle.
    Remington 870 hardly ever has a mechanical problem.

Comment

Smitty, my vote is the 20 gauge, but its your hunt. I took my 20 gauge EAA over and under last year pheasant hunting and it will be with me from now on, its lighter and does not bust the birds up to bad, more meat for the pot. Are you hunting with a dog, or kicking the brush piles yourself? Good luck.

Comment

THE 20 IS MY CHOICE FOR DOVES AND I REVER THE 870. BUT FOR PHESANTS i like PUTTING UP A LOT OF SHOT IF i GOTTA DO A LOT OF WALKING 1100 ON THE BIGGER BIRD

Comment

Either will work fine unless you are in an area that requires steel shot. The WMA in IA require the use of non toxic shot and I use steel so the 12 guage is my choice. Good luck with your hunt. I use 2 3/4 magnum 2 steel for pheasants on he WMA's.

Comment

This is going to sound obvious, but I would say whichever one you're a better wingshot with, if there's any difference in that regard. Otherwise I would vote for the 20, usually pheasants make for fairly close shooting, unless they're heavily pressured, and the 12 is unnecessary weight and bulk. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks all ya'll for your input. I have decided to go with the 20 gauge 870 and i will be using 2 3/4 #6.

Comment

25-06,
                I will be using a friends pointer.

Comment

I know I am a little late to the party, but it sounds like you made a good choice. Of course you really could not have gone wrong, either would work fine.

Comment

Hey everbody. Went out for awhile this morning, saw two hens and a rooster but nobody took a shot. Also had two rabbits escape us.
                    Mesarich,
                    You are absoultely right, it is hard to go wrong with either of the two guns.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pieces of gold.
                      by 99explorer
                      Which is worth more, a pound of $10 gold pieces, or half a pound of $20 gold pieces?
                      Yesterday, 06:45 PM
                    • Mansion on fire.
                      by 99explorer
                      One of Jeffrey Epstein's mansions is on fire.
                      It has three main rooms. One is full of money in cash, another contains valuable paintings, and the...
                      Yesterday, 10:04 AM
                    • Firing squad.
                      by 99explorer
                      A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
                      This final shot does...
                      08-22-2019, 09:07 PM
                    • Lost in the woods.
                      by 99explorer
                      You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
                      One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
                      Two Indians...
                      08-22-2019, 01:24 PM
                    • Books on a shelf.
                      by 99explorer
                      There are several books on a bookshelf.
                      If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
                      08-21-2019, 02:19 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X