Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best load for doves?

What is the best load for doves?

In 12 ga., I like 3 1/4, 1 1/4 #8 shot, maybe #7.5 shot if they are spooky and staying further out.

Comment

I am using a Remington 1100 that only takes 2 3/4in shells. Someone tried to tell me that #9 is good for doves but i think that is too small.(?)

Comment

I may not have made myself clear on the load. That is a 2 3/4' shell with 3 1/4 drams equiv. powder and 1 1/4 oz. shot. The 1 1/8 oz shot works too, and is easier to find. You're right about the #9 shot being on the small side, unless the doves are flying in close to you. Good shootin' to you---I won't be able to go for a couple of weeks yet.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I need to go get some shells for the 12 gauge. However, I was bored last saturday evening and decided to take a stroll down a powerline. I was using 20 gauge 3 inch #6 (old turkey loads). I never saw a dove but i did learn something, at 13 yards, that load does a number on unsuspecting whistlepigs!
          Do you have any tips on how to hunt them? I was told to walk cornfields.
          Good luck when your season starts!
          Smitty18

Comment

I use 7.5 that seems to work well.

Comment

Smitty, find a cut field with a water source near by, you will jump them in corn field, but they are really hard to find unless you hunt with a dog.

Comment

I shoot a 12 gauge low brass in the 7.5

Comment

I have killed more doves with 7.5 shot, then with anything else.

Comment

Thank you all for the tips.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Sisters.
                      by 99explorer
                      Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, within minutes of each other, in the same month and year, and yet they are not twins.
                      How...
                      Today, 09:32 AM
                    • Rice for sale.
                      by 99explorer
                      A man can buy rice for $1 per pound in the U.S.A.
                      He buys tons of the stuff, and sells it all in India for a nickel a pound.
                      He soon becomes...
                      08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
                    • Strangers meet.
                      by 99explorer
                      A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                      They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                      No identification markers...
                      08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
                    • OU football
                      by FirstBubba
                      Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                      The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                      08-16-2019, 10:35 PM
                    • True romance.
                      by 99explorer
                      A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, a beautiful girl named Sarah.
                      The bus driver has to go on a long bus trip that will...
                      08-16-2019, 09:11 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X