Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey, as some of you might know, Iowa just passed a law allowing Mourning Dove hunting starting Sep. 1, so my brother and I are p

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hey, as some of you might know, Iowa just passed a law allowing Mourning Dove hunting starting Sep. 1, so my brother and I are p

    Hey, as some of you might know, Iowa just passed a law allowing Mourning Dove hunting starting Sep. 1, so my brother and I are planning on going out and trying it this weekend. But neither of us have ever hunted doves before, so if there's anybody out there who's done it successfully I would sure appreciate any tips or advice on tactics you might have.

  • #2
    It's about like anythiing else, find either their food or watering hole and you'll find them. Setting up next to a pond is probably the most popular method. Good luck, and bring lots of shells...

    Comment


    • #3
      One of the best things about dove season is that it's pretty laid back. Just get yourself a camping chair and sit by some dead trees, preferably by water, and get ready to shoot! You don't need to be worried about getting all dressed in camo. (might not hurt, but I never do and I kill PLENTY of doves every year) Dove decoys work great and are around $12 per 6 at Wal-Mart. I would recommend buying a few. When you get home from the hunt marinate the breasts in worcestershire sauce, put a piece of jalapeno between two breasts, wrap it in bacon and throw 'em on the grill!

      Comment


      • #4
        If the hunting is just coming back, it should be know sweat,however, down here where its heavily pressured you have to where more camo than a turkey hunter (almost)use a modified choke and hunt a ditchline where u can find cover on a chopped field. Dove hunting is some of the best fun there is

        Comment


        • #5
          huntfishtrap,
          I logged on to ask the same question only difference is that Pennsylvania has had a season for a while.

          Comment


          • #6
            A pasture with a pond and some trees would be my choice, second only to an acre or two of sunflowers. I use a 6 gallon bucket for a seat as it is easier to get up from than a lawn chair and you can swing around and watch 360 degrees. Stay in the shadows and keep your eyes to the sky. Those little rockets are fast so be ready to be humbled.

            Comment


            • #7
              First find the pattern they are flying,they normally follow terrain features ,rise in a hill ,tree lines,fence rows you will figure this out quickly.Forget about the high wide fliers,a waste of time and ammunition.,40 yards is gettin out there a bit. early season I USE 7 AND HALF SHOT,IF the bird is going to drop in high weeds ,pass him up.they are hard to find and better shot oppourtunities will pass you by while your hunting for a bird you probably won;t find anyway.The biggest problem new wing shooters have is not enough lead and follow thru. SHOOT FROM 3 TO 7 OR 8 FEET IN FRONT of the bird and let him fly into your shot pattern.when you knock a bird down ,go to him immediately and never take your eyes off where he fell.If you decide you really like this type of shooting a good retrievr dog makes hunting dove a lot easier and enjoyable.don't shoot at low flying birds in a field with other hunters and post up w/ each other to cover each others back.safety first,no bird is worth a blinding or fatal accident.keep track of shells shot and pick up your empties even if you don't reload.average shooter 1 bird to 5 shots.my best is 12 out of 15. good luck and get ready for fast shooting and lots of fun.for eating pull the head off twist the wings backwards and put your finger under brest bone and remove it.most shooters only take the breast. good pan fried or bar-b-qued. GOOD LUCK

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by OutdoorEnvy View Post
                It's about like anythiing else, find either their food or watering hole and you'll find them. Setting up next to a pond is probably the most popular method. Good luck, and bring lots of shells...
                Never hunted them near a water source, only food sources.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TravisAA View Post
                  One of the best things about dove season is that it's pretty laid back. Just get yourself a camping chair and sit by some dead trees, preferably by water, and get ready to shoot! You don't need to be worried about getting all dressed in camo. (might not hurt, but I never do and I kill PLENTY of doves every year) Dove decoys work great and are around $12 per 6 at Wal-Mart. I would recommend buying a few. When you get home from the hunt marinate the breasts in worcestershire sauce, put a piece of jalapeno between two breasts, wrap it in bacon and throw 'em on the grill!
                  Doves see color pretty well. I suggest camo for at least the waist up

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by floridahunter View Post
                    If the hunting is just coming back, it should be know sweat,however, down here where its heavily pressured you have to where more camo than a turkey hunter (almost)use a modified choke and hunt a ditchline where u can find cover on a chopped field. Dove hunting is some of the best fun there is
                    It's the same way hunting here in Alabama

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Smitty18 View Post
                      huntfishtrap,
                      I logged on to ask the same question only difference is that Pennsylvania has had a season for a while.
                      Pennsylvania will be a little different because of the increased water sources

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sangcoacc View Post
                        A pasture with a pond and some trees would be my choice, second only to an acre or two of sunflowers. I use a 6 gallon bucket for a seat as it is easier to get up from than a lawn chair and you can swing around and watch 360 degrees. Stay in the shadows and keep your eyes to the sky. Those little rockets are fast so be ready to be humbled.
                        Bucket seats that swivel are a great idea. Been doing that for years

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
                          First find the pattern they are flying,they normally follow terrain features ,rise in a hill ,tree lines,fence rows you will figure this out quickly.Forget about the high wide fliers,a waste of time and ammunition.,40 yards is gettin out there a bit. early season I USE 7 AND HALF SHOT,IF the bird is going to drop in high weeds ,pass him up.they are hard to find and better shot oppourtunities will pass you by while your hunting for a bird you probably won;t find anyway.The biggest problem new wing shooters have is not enough lead and follow thru. SHOOT FROM 3 TO 7 OR 8 FEET IN FRONT of the bird and let him fly into your shot pattern.when you knock a bird down ,go to him immediately and never take your eyes off where he fell.If you decide you really like this type of shooting a good retrievr dog makes hunting dove a lot easier and enjoyable.don't shoot at low flying birds in a field with other hunters and post up w/ each other to cover each others back.safety first,no bird is worth a blinding or fatal accident.keep track of shells shot and pick up your empties even if you don't reload.average shooter 1 bird to 5 shots.my best is 12 out of 15. good luck and get ready for fast shooting and lots of fun.for eating pull the head off twist the wings backwards and put your finger under brest bone and remove it.most shooters only take the breast. good pan fried or bar-b-qued. GOOD LUCK
                          6P, I think that's the best advice here. I will only add that besides lead, you need to swing with the target and follow through after pulling the trigger

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            There's some great dove hunting information in the following OL articles...

                            Comment

                            Welcome!

                            Collapse

                            Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                            If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                            And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                            Right Rail 1 Ad

                            Collapse

                            Top Active Users

                            Collapse

                            There are no top active users.

                            Right Rail 2 Ad

                            Collapse

                            Latest Topics

                            Collapse

                            • Ammo shortage over?
                              by dewman
                              Stopped off at my favorite gun shop this morning. His shelves were full of ammo, powder. Remington, winchester, federal, CCI, Aguilar, all the .22's were...
                              Yesterday, 12:14 PM
                            • More reloading stuff
                              by fitch270



                              Rather than hijack RA’s reloading thread I thought I’d continue my progress separately. Pretty sure we can keep both running....
                              01-18-2021, 11:19 PM
                            • 17hm2 fail part 3 CCI response
                              by dewman
                              Been in email contact with technical service rep Cody B. through out the day . They are sending me UPS to pick up ammo and take it to them. Will reimburse...
                              01-18-2021, 07:12 PM
                            • 17hm2 detonation part 2
                              by dewman
                              So this morning I went to pry the blockage out. Surprise! All that came out, and popped out easily, was the bullet still sitting in the throat. Tip intact(messed...
                              01-17-2021, 11:52 AM
                            • 17hm2 explodes in the chamber
                              by dewman
                              $65 to replace magwell& clip if gun is o.k.Was at a friends shooting our rimfires at flocks of blackbirds. Me with my ever present CZ. I lined up...
                              01-16-2021, 08:56 PM

                            Right Rail 3 Ad

                            Collapse

                            Footer Ad Widget

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X