Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey, as some of you might know, Iowa just passed a law allowing Mourning Dove hunting starting Sep. 1, so my brother and I are p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, as some of you might know, Iowa just passed a law allowing Mourning Dove hunting starting Sep. 1, so my brother and I are p

Hey, as some of you might know, Iowa just passed a law allowing Mourning Dove hunting starting Sep. 1, so my brother and I are planning on going out and trying it this weekend. But neither of us have ever hunted doves before, so if there's anybody out there who's done it successfully I would sure appreciate any tips or advice on tactics you might have.

It's about like anythiing else, find either their food or watering hole and you'll find them. Setting up next to a pond is probably the most popular method. Good luck, and bring lots of shells...

Comment

One of the best things about dove season is that it's pretty laid back. Just get yourself a camping chair and sit by some dead trees, preferably by water, and get ready to shoot! You don't need to be worried about getting all dressed in camo. (might not hurt, but I never do and I kill PLENTY of doves every year) Dove decoys work great and are around $12 per 6 at Wal-Mart. I would recommend buying a few. When you get home from the hunt marinate the breasts in worcestershire sauce, put a piece of jalapeno between two breasts, wrap it in bacon and throw 'em on the grill!

Comment

If the hunting is just coming back, it should be know sweat,however, down here where its heavily pressured you have to where more camo than a turkey hunter (almost)use a modified choke and hunt a ditchline where u can find cover on a chopped field. Dove hunting is some of the best fun there is

Comment

huntfishtrap,
          I logged on to ask the same question only difference is that Pennsylvania has had a season for a while.

Comment

A pasture with a pond and some trees would be my choice, second only to an acre or two of sunflowers. I use a 6 gallon bucket for a seat as it is easier to get up from than a lawn chair and you can swing around and watch 360 degrees. Stay in the shadows and keep your eyes to the sky. Those little rockets are fast so be ready to be humbled.

Comment

First find the pattern they are flying,they normally follow terrain features ,rise in a hill ,tree lines,fence rows you will figure this out quickly.Forget about the high wide fliers,a waste of time and ammunition.,40 yards is gettin out there a bit. early season I USE 7 AND HALF SHOT,IF the bird is going to drop in high weeds ,pass him up.they are hard to find and better shot oppourtunities will pass you by while your hunting for a bird you probably won;t find anyway.The biggest problem new wing shooters have is not enough lead and follow thru. SHOOT FROM 3 TO 7 OR 8 FEET IN FRONT of the bird and let him fly into your shot pattern.when you knock a bird down ,go to him immediately and never take your eyes off where he fell.If you decide you really like this type of shooting a good retrievr dog makes hunting dove a lot easier and enjoyable.don't shoot at low flying birds in a field with other hunters and post up w/ each other to cover each others back.safety first,no bird is worth a blinding or fatal accident.keep track of shells shot and pick up your empties even if you don't reload.average shooter 1 bird to 5 shots.my best is 12 out of 15. good luck and get ready for fast shooting and lots of fun.for eating pull the head off twist the wings backwards and put your finger under brest bone and remove it.most shooters only take the breast. good pan fried or bar-b-qued. GOOD LUCK

Comment

Originally posted by OutdoorEnvy View Post
                It's about like anythiing else, find either their food or watering hole and you'll find them. Setting up next to a pond is probably the most popular method. Good luck, and bring lots of shells...
                Never hunted them near a water source, only food sources.

Comment

Originally posted by TravisAA View Post
                  One of the best things about dove season is that it's pretty laid back. Just get yourself a camping chair and sit by some dead trees, preferably by water, and get ready to shoot! You don't need to be worried about getting all dressed in camo. (might not hurt, but I never do and I kill PLENTY of doves every year) Dove decoys work great and are around $12 per 6 at Wal-Mart. I would recommend buying a few. When you get home from the hunt marinate the breasts in worcestershire sauce, put a piece of jalapeno between two breasts, wrap it in bacon and throw 'em on the grill!
                  Doves see color pretty well. I suggest camo for at least the waist up

Comment

Originally posted by floridahunter View Post
                    If the hunting is just coming back, it should be know sweat,however, down here where its heavily pressured you have to where more camo than a turkey hunter (almost)use a modified choke and hunt a ditchline where u can find cover on a chopped field. Dove hunting is some of the best fun there is
                    It's the same way hunting here in Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty18 View Post
                      huntfishtrap,
                      I logged on to ask the same question only difference is that Pennsylvania has had a season for a while.
                      Pennsylvania will be a little different because of the increased water sources

Comment

Originally posted by sangcoacc View Post
                        A pasture with a pond and some trees would be my choice, second only to an acre or two of sunflowers. I use a 6 gallon bucket for a seat as it is easier to get up from than a lawn chair and you can swing around and watch 360 degrees. Stay in the shadows and keep your eyes to the sky. Those little rockets are fast so be ready to be humbled.
                        Bucket seats that swivel are a great idea. Been doing that for years

Comment

Originally posted by 6phunter View Post
                          First find the pattern they are flying,they normally follow terrain features ,rise in a hill ,tree lines,fence rows you will figure this out quickly.Forget about the high wide fliers,a waste of time and ammunition.,40 yards is gettin out there a bit. early season I USE 7 AND HALF SHOT,IF the bird is going to drop in high weeds ,pass him up.they are hard to find and better shot oppourtunities will pass you by while your hunting for a bird you probably won;t find anyway.The biggest problem new wing shooters have is not enough lead and follow thru. SHOOT FROM 3 TO 7 OR 8 FEET IN FRONT of the bird and let him fly into your shot pattern.when you knock a bird down ,go to him immediately and never take your eyes off where he fell.If you decide you really like this type of shooting a good retrievr dog makes hunting dove a lot easier and enjoyable.don't shoot at low flying birds in a field with other hunters and post up w/ each other to cover each others back.safety first,no bird is worth a blinding or fatal accident.keep track of shells shot and pick up your empties even if you don't reload.average shooter 1 bird to 5 shots.my best is 12 out of 15. good luck and get ready for fast shooting and lots of fun.for eating pull the head off twist the wings backwards and put your finger under brest bone and remove it.most shooters only take the breast. good pan fried or bar-b-qued. GOOD LUCK
                          6P, I think that's the best advice here. I will only add that besides lead, you need to swing with the target and follow through after pulling the trigger

Comment

There's some great dove hunting information in the following OL articles...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                              by fitch270
                              Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                              09-27-2020, 05:55 PM
                            • Grips and stocks
                              by dewman
                              so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                              09-27-2020, 08:55 AM
                            • Youth pheasant hike
                              by fitch270
                              Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                              09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                            • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                              by fitch270
                              Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                              09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                            • Unusual Sound
                              by jhjimbo
                              At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                              09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X