Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often should a person call with a slate to trick the turkey to come in close for a nice clean shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often should a person call with a slate to trick the turkey to come in close for a nice clean shot?

How often should a person call with a slate to trick the turkey to come in close for a nice clean shot?

That's almost a "How high is up?" question. There are so many variables that it's hard to give an answer. If you're just sitting and calling and hoping one will come in, once every ten to fifteen minutes would do. If he has gobbled at your call, then shut up and see what he does. In my opinion, the worst thing you can do is call too much and hang him up or make him start ignoring your calls. You just have to acquire some experience, and you generally do that by making mistakes. Turkeys are excellent teachers and are quick to point out things you do wrong. Good luck and patience.

Comment

I think the best advice someone gave me was to call just enough and then shut up. When I get too excited I call a lot and when that happens I usually lose the bird. Call just enough to spark his attention and then put the call in your pocket and get ready. Make him beg you for more until he decides to come looking for you.

Comment

If you are well practiced with your call sounding like a turkey you should call quite a bit. I call a lot more than most hunters because turkeys make noise constantly they are rarely quiet; purrs, soft clucks & yelps. Many spring hunters miss the softer turkey sounds because they are focused on listening for the gobble.
        Ray Eye has some excellent calling videos posted in the OL Chasing Spring section make sure you check them out.
        Good Hunting,
        charlie

Comment

When my Dad and I went on a hunt we called very little. All it takes it to get the birds intersted. If you over call the birds might get your position and refuse to come within shotgun/bow range.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Firing squad.
            by 99explorer
            A man is shot by 12 members of a firing squad, and the squad officer administers the coup de grace with a bullet to the head.
            This final shot does...
            Today, 09:07 PM
          • Lost in the woods.
            by 99explorer
            You are lost in the woods and come to a fork in the road.
            One path leads to civilization and the other will get you lost forever.
            Two Indians...
            Today, 01:24 PM
          • Books on a shelf.
            by 99explorer
            There are several books on a bookshelf.
            If one book is fourth from the left and sixth from the right, how many books are on the shelf?
            Yesterday, 02:19 PM
          • Mental arithmetic.
            by 99explorer
            A bat and a ball cost $1.10.
            The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
            How much does the ball cost?
            Yesterday, 11:57 AM
          • The new king.
            by 99explorer
            The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
            Now the twins are adults...
            08-20-2019, 04:27 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X