Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For a dedicates turkey gun that will take a turkey out to 50+ yards would a 20ga work or will i need a 12ga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For a dedicates turkey gun that will take a turkey out to 50+ yards would a 20ga work or will i need a 12ga

For a dedicates turkey gun that will take a turkey out to 50+ yards would a 20ga work or will i need a 12ga

I would not even attempt to take a turkey at any more than 30 yards. You are asking for a wounded bird if you try it any farther.

Comment

I agree with Smitty--50 is way too long at any guage. Go with the 12g & maybe you can stretch your range to 40, but IMHO you should try to get the bird in to 25 yards before you take the shot. Your max range should depend on how your gun with the choke you're using patterns at 20, 25, 30 ... Have a safe & happy hunt!

Comment

I agree on the range. Though it is possible to stretch the range, you are asking for trouble when you do and will be turning turkeys into food for the wildcats.

Comment

If you don't already own the gun, go with the 12 gauge. The only reason I say this is because the 12 gauge shells usually have higher velocity. I love my 20 gauge, but is difficult to find shells that produce the velocity of the 12 at max loads. Check it out, see what I mean. If anyone knows a manufacture that produces a 20 gauge max 3" load that is over 1420 fps, I would be interested.

Comment

thanks for the advise but the answers don"t relly help and a I know my 12 ga can kill a turkey to 70yds but I don't nedd all that power.

Comment

70 yards?!? How many birds do you want to injure before you kill one? I hope you just stay out of the woods.

Comment

It is people who shoot turkeys at 70 that give the sport a bad name. Attempting a shot like that is irresponsible and unethical.

Comment

You must be shooting a double barrel---unethical load in one barrel and irresponsible in the other.
                  Sure, you might be able to hit the turkey with a few pellets at the kinds of ranges you are talking about, but the chances are that you'll only wound him and gobblers don't leave blood trails.
                  I will shoot turkeys all day long at 40 yards with my 12 ga. 3.5' and kill every one I shoot at, but the distances you are talking about are ridiculous. I'll go along with seadog and suggest that you'd be better off staying home.

Comment

Seriously?? The Big Red C gets a Big Red F in my book.

Comment

Ok I said I COULD not WOULD shoot a turkey a 70yds my max range is 55yds withs 3.5 inch because I can get 55 pelets in a gobblers neck at that range! So don't judge me!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Could turns to would in the heat of the hunt. Do the birds a favor and stick to hunting for the remote.

Comment

On average 8 to 9 pellets are required for a clean and quick kill....first pattern your choice of firearm and load....to gauge performance at different distances....your shooting range will differ greatly from field conditions....it is a tough call in springtime take the shot that you know you can make...a bird in the bag is the goal

I talked to several turkey hunters last spring who had knocked toms down....rolled then over....blew feathers off the bird ....but no bird....sure everyone misses but remember dinner for you or the fox or coyotes it is your call

Comment

Big Red C when you post on a national forum you must expect to be judged by your words. On the other end of the keyboard is a person. We all make judgments and are in turn judged; that is how we learn.
                            Please reflect on why you turkey hunt. You might find you are cheating yourself out of the skills and small pleasures that are meant to be discovered in turkey hunting.
                            later,
                            charlie

Comment

Big Red C, check out the old gobbler.com website and you will find a wealth of quality information that will open your eyes to your question. Some of you nea sayers that think 30 yards is the MAX need to visit also.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget