Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do turkeys have a "memory bank"? Two days after the opening of fall turkey season, I went out to my blind and called in 6 birds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do turkeys have a "memory bank"? Two days after the opening of fall turkey season, I went out to my blind and called in 6 birds

Do turkeys have a "memory bank"? Two days after the opening of fall turkey season, I went out to my blind and called in 6 birds. I took one while watching the other 5 scatter after my shot. The next day I took my friend to fill his tag-same blind, same calling, same decoys. We hunted for a week & never saw a bird. Did my shooting that one bird scatter the others out of the entire area or should we have waited for a few weeks?

I'm not sure that turkeys have a "memory bank" per se. Though they can clearly remember preferred roosting areas, I think you'd be giving them a lot of credit to think that they might remember a single incident when something (like a gun shot) frightened them. My sense is that they probably moved off and simply found a better food source elsewhere and didn't return.

Comment

To start you need to use a crow call at sun-rise
      to sound the birds if you can hear them thay are not there; try some other place and sound for birds

Comment

CAN'T**

Comment

Rio, Merriam or Ocelated Toms only remember, near as I can tell, where to sleep, eat and punch the hens of choice! Other than that, no memory. I've watched them Toms mount my decs and wonder why they can't penetrate. It's their incredible eyesight that makes them tough to hunt...chances are, they saw you before you even knew they were in the hood.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget