Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm hoping to bag my 1st gobbler this year and have picked out a nice patch of property with alfalfa, potato, and corn fields. T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm hoping to bag my 1st gobbler this year and have picked out a nice patch of property with alfalfa, potato, and corn fields. T

I'm hoping to bag my 1st gobbler this year and have picked out a nice patch of property with alfalfa, potato, and corn fields. The area is mostly open with the occasional patch of woods in the middle of a field. Does anyone have any tips on hunting this type of property?

With an area mostly wide open with some transitional cover it will be a great place to use a decoy--the open landscape will provide unrestricted sight lines and the cover can be used a suitable area to break your outline and set up to call.Try and determine the best position of your decoy to maximize exposure.The alfalfa will provide some choice spring green feed for hens--so expect your location to be busy.I personally would try hunting without a decoy for the first few days and try and pattern out access and exit points of travel into this area -basically letting the hens work for you as live decoys-- the only downfall is that sometimes the live decoy has a mind of it's own and may not work into your desired range.

Comment

bigbuck96 the thing is to find which patch of woods they are roosting in and then set up between them and the field if you can pattern them this way youll have sucess.

Comment

the decoy hunter's advice is sound. My tactic with real hens is different and more aggressive. Should hens show up with no gobbler or gobblers in tow flush the hens out of the area. From my experience if hens are in the area and a gobbler begins to come to your calls most of the time those hens are going to intercept the gobbler well out of gun range. Leaving you with at best a nice show but no bird in the bag.
        With the openness of the area you are hunting a blind made from non reflective fabric could prove very beneficial.
        good hunting.
        later,
        charlie

Comment

just wanted to wish you luck!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 6.5-284 Borden/Alpine clone XP works great in the field - 588 yards
            by Ernie
            Dan Ekstrom and I have been looking for a shooter mule deer buck on public land.

For this area, Tuesday was the last day.

Yesterday, 10:06 AM
          • Outdoor Life archives
            by Scott123
            Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
            10-23-2020, 11:23 PM
          • Blade Stain
            by jhjimbo
            Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
            10-23-2020, 11:40 AM
          • Home Defense
            by jhjimbo
            If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
            10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
          • Pay it forward
            by fitch270
            I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
            10-18-2020, 01:34 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X