Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how should you run and gun?

how should you run and gun?

A tactic that can be best described as both exciting and aggressive.It affords the opportunity to perhaps cover more ground and improve your odds.Trolling for turkeys hoping you will get one to commit will perhaps focus on the more aggressive toms--keep in mind however turkey hunting is a double edged sword-aggressive tactics can produce both opportunities and failures.Depending on hunting pressure in a given area some consideration should be given to your personal safety---moving around with camo on and using calls can be dangerous in the spring turkey landscape.I would suggest between "moves" wear a blaze orange hat and small vest----something to distinguish yourself from other hunters who may be set up in the same area.One of the most unfortunate parts of the upcoming season is reading an article about a hunting accident in the field where a miscue can end tragically.If you are moving from location to location a wary bird will be able to pick you up with camo on the landscape where as a another hunter may not properly interpret the movement in the field.(wearing orange can eliminate the article where a hunter misinterpreted unfolding events)The spring woods do not always offer unrestricted sight lines and as the season progresses new growth further obscures the landscape.Go safely--have fun--everyone.

Comment

Never run with a loaded firearm! It's like running with scissors--didn't your mother teach you anything? LOL (Apologies to your mom--tell her I was just kidding). Seriously--decoy hunter gave you good advice. I'll try to add a little. Move slow--more like stalking than running. Try using a locator call while you're on the move--like a crow call. Once you hear a tom, set up if he's close--if he's far, move in on him & set up. Then put your lipstick on & do your best impersonation of an amorous hen. (The lipstick is a joke, son--if you actually put lipstick on, I'll disavow all knowledge of this conversation). Have a good safe hunt.

Comment

Make sure your firearm is unloaded and anytime you are moving in a turkey woods were orange. Gobbles attract other hunters as well as yourself.

Comment

Always be safe. Running and gunning is a very good tactic for gobblers. Slowly walk around your area with a locator call (crow call,owl hooter,coyote howler,woodpecker call) and blow on it when you think you are in the vicinity of a gobbler. If you get a response get within 70-100 yards of the bird (depending on what the terrain will allow) and set up a decoy and start calling. Just remember not to be too aggressive on your calling,but keep the bird interested. Read as many turkey books as you can and watch as many hunting videos as possible to learn from the pros more tips about running and gunning.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
            by jhjimbo
            If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
            10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
          • Pay it forward
            by fitch270
            I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
            10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
          • Reloading Gear Order
            by fitch270
            I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
            10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
          • Ruger Oops! Round 2
            by dewman
            Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
            10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
          • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
            by Ernie
            Any handgun hunters here?
            Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
            10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X