Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you pattern turkeys?

how do you pattern turkeys?

First, they have to be in open land where you can watch them from a distance without spooking them, then you just watch to see where they go during the day. Woodland turkeys are more difficult and you pretty much have to try to figure out their movements by listening to them, which gets to be a challenge up in the day when they aren't very vocal.

Comment

It is much easier to do in the fall hunting season as opposed to the spring hunt.The inertia of the breeding season makes it difficult to establish definitive patterns.While the fall hunt can be more predictable when focusing on bird groups-the spring is the opposite--'anything can happen anytime' is part of what makes spring turkey hunting so much fun and unpredictable.Toss in calls-decoys-etc it can be a lot of fun and heartbreak all in one hour.

Comment

I'm not much of a turkey hunter, I'm not sure you really can pattern them like deer. From my experience they move whenever and whereever they want with no real pattern. What has worked for me hunting them is to put them to bed at night by calling them at dusk around large chunks of trees. When I hear them call back I back out and return the next morning before sunup. at shooting light I begin calling them to me. This has worked for me, but again I'm not a great turkey hunter, I like the kind with large racks on their head. ha

Comment

That's a very broad question, but ill do what i can to help. Go out in the woods as much as possible! Find where gobblers have been feeding and strutting. Gobblers have question mark shaped scat and hens have curled scat. See where the birds are roosted. If you can, go out the day before the season and find a roosting tree. The next morning get within 70-100 yards of the tree and setup before light. Give soft clucks and purrs and use a hen decoy if possible. A gobbler will think a hen has flown down early and will come running right into your sights.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
            by jhjimbo
            If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
            10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
          • Pay it forward
            by fitch270
            I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
            10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
          • Reloading Gear Order
            by fitch270
            I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
            10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
          • Ruger Oops! Round 2
            by dewman
            Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
            10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
          • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
            by Ernie
            Any handgun hunters here?
            Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
            10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X