Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't decide what to do this year. I've never killed a gobbler before, only a hen and i cant decide to eat the turkey or get a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't decide what to do this year. I've never killed a gobbler before, only a hen and i cant decide to eat the turkey or get a

I can't decide what to do this year. I've never killed a gobbler before, only a hen and i cant decide to eat the turkey or get a full body mount if i kill a nice tom. My family has never been wasteful of any animal we kill. Should i eat the turkey or get it mounted?

There will be many more turkeys, if it's your first one it may be a particularly nice specien that warrants a full mount if not into the oven with it and get a tail nmount. The oppurtunity will eventually present itself for a nice turkey that will look great in a full body if you keep hunting. But if you get a monster gobbler this time around i'd say mount.

Comment

Do both. It is not an either or question. The meat is not used in the mount. A good hunter would never waste the meat.

Comment

I am in agreement with Charlie Elk. If it at all possible, do both. I have always gone for the tail, beard mount. This makes it easy to keep the meat and build a mount. (And it is a lot cheaper than a full mount.)

Comment

Yes, you can have your cake and eat it, too. You might consider a "cape" mount which is really good looking and takes up less space than the full mount. Basically, you just skin your turkey, keep the meat and take the necessary parts to the taxidermist. Ask him ahead of time what he needs.

Comment

Thank you guys for all of your answers.

Comment

Have him STUFFED!! I like cornbread, onions, celery, apples, and chesnuts if ya got 'em. if he is old and tough they are very good smoked. kidding aside, pineywoods as the answer i'd go with.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                by jhjimbo
                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                Yesterday, 02:15 PM
              • Pay it forward
                by fitch270
                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
              • Reloading Gear Order
                by fitch270
                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                by dewman
                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                by Ernie
                Any handgun hunters here?
                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X