Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do turkey's hang out in the winter time? The two flocks I commonly see have been MIA lately. Do they group up or scatter i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do turkey's hang out in the winter time? The two flocks I commonly see have been MIA lately. Do they group up or scatter i

Where do turkey's hang out in the winter time? The two flocks I commonly see have been MIA lately. Do they group up or scatter in search for food? Haven't been seeing them like I do during the spring/summer months. Perhaps they are hanging out in someones yard who is feeding them?

The wild turkey's metabolism changes somewhat over the winter months-however as a steadfast rule the birds winter out in predominately all male groups(which are smaller) and female/2009 offspring (which are larger).Metabolic changes offer the birds a reduced need for food over the winter months-as a survival mechanism but also contributes to a reduced need for movement.Turkey's like you indicated are quite opportunistic and if a feed source is available either by human design or agricultural crops left unharvested etc. it greatly reduces their need for travel again coupled with lower metabolic goals. As the days are starting to get a little longer in terms of daylight you should notice a slight increase in movement over the next 45 days as the birds will become more active and travel more.

Comment

Right on thanks decoy hunter. Exactly what I needed to know. Half mile down the road there's alot of standing corn so I'm guessing they're near there or by some goof who's got a feeder in their backyard. Can't wait for spring!

Comment

WE FIND BIRDS USUALLY MOVE TO A LOWER ELVATION ,BUT YOUR COMMENT ABOUT FOOD IS CORRECT.FOOD IS THERE PRIMARY REASON FOR MOVING. THATS WWHAT WE FIND OUT WEST.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget