Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going to start duck hunting in the southern states where alligators could be an issue with my dog. I heard that gators first

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to start duck hunting in the southern states where alligators could be an issue with my dog. I heard that gators first

I'm going to start duck hunting in the southern states where alligators could be an issue with my dog. I heard that gators first stalk their prey from on top of the water then go under to attack. They just don't sit on the bottom and wait for splahing and then attack. Which could give a hunter a warning while duck hunting.

I don't know a lot about duck hunting, but I know about gators, so I'll try to help. What you heard is typical, but not always true. They often wait to ambush prey with just their eyes & nostrils above water. When they stalk on the surface, that's usually all you see. You're not really looking for an "alligator." You're looking for the profile of the top of the head & snout (eyes & nostrils). Most of the gators out there are big enough to steal your ducks, but the dog is too big for them--but there are plenty big ones too. I hope this helps. You should talk to some duck hunters to see how they deal with it. Good luck hunting.

Comment

I think a better question would be how to make an alligator let go of your dog, rather than how he got hold of him in the first place. My first impulse would be to try a .357 Magnum between the eyes.

Comment

Timberdoodle, not a bad idea, but you want to aim a little farther back. The kill shot is a couple of inches behind the eyes if you're aiming straight down & depending on the size of the gator. Also the eyes are only an inch or so behind the back teeth so you'd be shooting pretty close to the dog. It's a tough shot if the gator & dog are thrashing around. But if the alternative is watching your dog become dinner, I'd say go for it.

Comment

i wld jus suggest not taking him in the water jus take him field hunting

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
            by jhjimbo
            If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
            Yesterday, 02:15 PM
          • Pay it forward
            by fitch270
            I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
            10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
          • Reloading Gear Order
            by fitch270
            I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
            10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
          • Ruger Oops! Round 2
            by dewman
            Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
            10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
          • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
            by Ernie
            Any handgun hunters here?
            Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
            10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X