Quick trip to the 300yd range.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick trip to the 300yd range.

Last time to the range the wind was about 7 o'clock 12 to 15. This time it was about 10 o'clock 12 to 15.

I was shooting my Savage B Mag .17 caliber 20gr. Winchester and Hornady ammo.(I forgot my Federal and that has proven to be the best in my rifle)
    I got one round in the 9 ring and two others were pushed right 4" and dropped about 2". We do not have wind indicators down range so I thought that was expected performance, variable wind speeds.
    On the pistol range I found in my .22lr handgun, Browning Challenger, Aquilla is by far the tightest group, Remington was next and Browning ammo was last, very open. All were high velocity and 40gr. shooting from a sand bag. You should try Aquilla in your handgun. I am now going to try it in my rifle and see if it continues to perform. Aquilla is roughly $6 more per brick than the others. BTW, Aquila advertises they are the largest producer of rimfire ammo in the World.

P.S. Our Club is getting remote scoring system for the 300yd range which will really be nice. Suppose to be $20,000. We open our ranges to the Army, local LEO and area sniper teams. The snipers will be here today and tomorrow qualifing. I like to watch those guys shoot.

Comment

Jimbo, thanks for the range report. I need to try some of that Aquilla subsonic in my Ruger handgun when the paperwork arrives for my suppressor. Can hardly wait for squirrel season!

Comment

I've tried the Aquila 40 grain in my 10/22 and it consistently grouped 1.5"-2" @ 25 yards. Disappointing to say the least. Unfortunately I don't have a 22lr handgun to try it.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
          Jimbo, thanks for the range report. I need to try some of that Aquilla subsonic in my Ruger handgun when the paperwork arrives for my suppressor. Can hardly wait for squirrel season!
          I was shooting the super high velocity 40gr, never tried the others.

Comment

Bought 250 rounds of Eley subsonic today.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
              I've tried the Aquila 40 grain in my 10/22 and it consistently grouped 1.5"-2" @ 25 yards. Disappointing to say the least. Unfortunately I don't have a 22lr handgun to try it.
              I was shooting close range from a sand bag to check groups and sights. The Aquila shot a group that could be covered by nickel, Remington twice that and Browning - forget about it, probably 3+ times the size. All shot with my Browning Challenger. I was amazed by the difference. I shot on a pistol team in College and all I ever shot was Remington Std. Velocity. Maybe that was the difference, I was shooting all Hi Vel 40gr loads for this test.

Comment

Let us know how they do. I have some of their 'Club' ammo but have not tested it against others. RWS is my favorite .22mag but it is cost prohibitive at $35-$40/50.

Comment

Will do Jimbo

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X