Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I need to know to hunt a Kodiak brown bear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I need to know to hunt a Kodiak brown bear?

Oddly, if you kill a Kodiak brown, it is imperative you recover the skull and hide.
    The meat?
    Apparently, they don't care whether you recover the meat or not.
    Makes me wonder if they are edible or even desireable as table fare?

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=kodiakbear.kodiakfaqs

I would take plenty of underwear for the skid marks hunting Kodiak brown bear :-)

Alaska Game Department states hunters eat black and brown bear meat.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.eating
    Attached Files

Comment

" Apparently, they don't care whether you recover the meat or not.
      Makes me wonder if they are edible or even desireable as table fare?"

This was the root of my question in another post today where the term Trophy hunt was bandied about.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post

This was the root of my question in another post today where the term Trophy hunt was bandied about.
        JC, Black bears are tasty.
        In the Far East cats and dogs are tasty. LMAO

Comment

I would say, Make Guide plans,Plane Tickets, Alaska Hunting lic, for A-Bear tag of your choice Fly in make camp BANG...Flop....Come Home!!;-))

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
            I would say, Make Guide plans,Plane Tickets, Alaska Hunting lic, for A-Bear tag of your choice Fly in make camp BANG...Flop....Come Home!!;-))
            That sounds real easy Tree? If only we had twenty grand to pay for that trip? LOL
            Bubba, +1 for the bear thread.

Comment

The Word "Trophy"came from the french in 1513 and in 1550 the English coined it as a "Prize of War"Thank God for High School History Class! 1954

Trophy came about in 1909-10 Teddy Roosevelt & Son,Kermit. Went to Africa to Hunt the Big (5) and then some!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                I would take plenty of underwear for the skid marks hunting Kodiak brown bear :-)

Alaska Game Department states hunters eat black and brown bear meat.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.eating
                WoW from behind his head look like a taxi cab with all the doors open,,,Lol

Comment

The fishing guide I go to was a bear guide for awhile....until a hunter froze and almost got both of them killed!
                  His fee was $25k, up front.
                  Cheap roundtrip airline is $1200 IF you book WELL in advance!
                  ...and that doesn't include tag, bush plane, trophy fees, taxidermy fees, tips and shipping to get your "trophy" home....and I'm sure that's not all!
                  I'd say turn key on a Kodiak bear hunt would be about $40K!

Comment

jcarlin,
                    I "Googled" if the meat was edible.
                    Spring bears are the best "trophy". If the hide hasn't been "rubbed", the fur is luxurious...but according to one hunter, the meat had spent the winter soaking in fish oil fat and just wasn't palatable.
                    Fall bears, the hide wasn't as nice, but berry fattened bear is apparently much more palatable.
                    Another hunter said they ate some loin from a kill and it was good, but not good enough to go back and recover more meat! LOL!

Comment

"What do I need to know to hunt a Kodiak Brown bear" ?

I would say that the first thing is to know that the hunter may become the hunted ! The second thing is to have experience in dangerous situations such as being charged by a wounded 500-800 pound animal intent on making your wife a widow or your children fatherless. Thinking about some hunts in the safety of one's home may be a whole other ball game in the living room of the intended prey. Of course these animals are often killed without such occurances, but so are some hunters. Maybe someone intent on such a hunt could gain experience in dangerous situations by going into the inner city of a large town after midnight and walking some of the dark streets. If one survives that little ordeal, no brown bear should be any problem !!!!

Comment

I've heard that diet is the key, but with my luck I'd find a bear who'd been eating road kill for the past month.

Comment

There is less than 100 miles of improved (paved, gravel) roads on the island.
                          Last time I was there, fuel was over $6/gal!
                          That would be one lean, hongry bear! LOL!

Comment

Check with Tyler Freel here on OL, he hunts a lot of bears, archery style, and knows a lot about bears and Alaska.

Comment

Jesus, Mary and Joesph! $40,000! I remember back in the early seventies a brown bear Alaska guided hunt was six grand.
                              Kodiak bear hunt is for the wealthy sportsmen, today. Trump's big game hunting son can afford that hunt. :-))

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget