Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some strange/unusual animal behaviors you've witnessed? My reason for asking is in the first comment.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I once watched a crow attacking a rabbit's nest. It was in the brush at the edge of my backyard. The first thing I noticed was the crow trying to get a perch on some briars that weren't strong enough to hold it; the bird kept dropping off, flapping his way back up, and trying to perch again. I couldn't figure it out -- then all of a sudden he just went straight up and then dropped like a bomb down through the brush to the ground. A big cottontail ran out and I could see the crow pecking at the babies in the nest. Then came the really cool part: The mama rabbit came storming back! She ran right into the crow and drove it off the nest. It went up into my neighbor's apple tree and kind of sulked there for a while. I don't know if it ever did make another try. And frankly, the whole thing might have been an hallucination, as this was in my younger years and sometimes my hangovers were pretty fierce.

    Comment


    • #17
      On second thought, maybe the little guy is afraid of heights?

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by JM View Post
        On second thought, maybe the little guy is afraid of heights?
        The thought of a squirrel being afraid of heights makes me laugh, but that actually is what it looked like.

        Comment


        • #19
          Every time we sat around the fire at camp a raccoon with a domestic cat came by. They were basically looking for scraps or a hand out.

          Comment


          • #20
            Believe it or not I've seen something like that before, but stranger! A few months ago I was walking into work and looked up to see a squirrel HUGGING a tree branch (all four legs around the branch) and not moving a muscle. He was so still I thought he was dead so I stopped and stared at him for a few minutes. He then turned his head ever so slightly and started staring back right at me! We literally had a staring contest for like 5 minutes with neither of us blinking. Finally I heard something that caused me to look up in the sky and there was a red tailed hawk circling up above.

            When I came back a few hours later on my lunch break, the squirrel was still there hugging that branch! And the really strange part, there was the hawk perched in the next tree over just sitting there too! After watching them a bit I had to go back into work, and when I came out again both were gone. I'll never forget the look on that squirrel's face as we stared at each other with the hawk circling. In retrospect I know exactly what he was thinking: "Get the F@%$ out of here dude before you blow my cover!"

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by DogSong View Post
              Believe it or not I've seen something like that before, but stranger! A few months ago I was walking into work and looked up to see a squirrel HUGGING a tree branch (all four legs around the branch) and not moving a muscle. He was so still I thought he was dead so I stopped and stared at him for a few minutes. He then turned his head ever so slightly and started staring back right at me! We literally had a staring contest for like 5 minutes with neither of us blinking. Finally I heard something that caused me to look up in the sky and there was a red tailed hawk circling up above.

              When I came back a few hours later on my lunch break, the squirrel was still there hugging that branch! And the really strange part, there was the hawk perched in the next tree over just sitting there too! After watching them a bit I had to go back into work, and when I came out again both were gone. I'll never forget the look on that squirrel's face as we stared at each other with the hawk circling. In retrospect I know exactly what he was thinking: "Get the F@%$ out of here dude before you blow my cover!"
              That's pretty funny. Maybe this guy thought there was some kind of predator around that whole time. Guess it's as likely as any other possibility.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
                I once watched a crow attacking a rabbit's nest. It was in the brush at the edge of my backyard. The first thing I noticed was the crow trying to get a perch on some briars that weren't strong enough to hold it; the bird kept dropping off, flapping his way back up, and trying to perch again. I couldn't figure it out -- then all of a sudden he just went straight up and then dropped like a bomb down through the brush to the ground. A big cottontail ran out and I could see the crow pecking at the babies in the nest. Then came the really cool part: The mama rabbit came storming back! She ran right into the crow and drove it off the nest. It went up into my neighbor's apple tree and kind of sulked there for a while. I don't know if it ever did make another try. And frankly, the whole thing might have been an hallucination, as this was in my younger years and sometimes my hangovers were pretty fierce.
                maybe the "mama rabbit" was really the guys in the white coats that stormed in and put you in the
                padded room until you sobered up !!

                Comment


                • #23
                  You had better get the water in your checked hft. This something wrong in Iowa. Exhibit one is this picture you posted--

                  http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/bragging-board/hunting/deer/funny-trail-cam-pic

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Hi...!!


                    Several times I've seen skunks walking around in the daytime, apparently having no fear of people...!!



                    Should you ever witness anything like that....particularly with skunks...Stay clear of them...There is a GOOD chance that they would be rabid...!!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                      Every time we sat around the fire at camp a raccoon with a domestic cat came by. They were basically looking for scraps or a hand out.
                      Hi...!!


                      Be VERY careful...Wild animals, such as those...and especially 'coons and skunks...They are NOT tame, and as cute as they may be...may, and can be carrying RABIES...!!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                        While I was working yesterday morning, I noticed a gray squirrel sitting on a small tree branch about 20 feet off the ground. Ordinarily the sight of a squirrel wouldn't make me glance twice, but I rarely see them in this spot, so it stuck in my mind. Now here is the strange part - I first saw the squirrel at about 11 AM, and when I went by again at about 2 PM, it was still in the same spot, and in the exact position! I thought that was odd, so I went over to investigate. The squirrel was alive - it moved a couple inches when I got close - and didn't appear to be stuck; it was just sitting there like it was in a trance. I went by again at about 7 PM last evening, and the squirrel still hadn't moved from that spot! It was just sitting there on the limb, like it was frozen in place. I've never seen an animal act like that before. When I got there this morning it was finally gone, and a search around the tree didn't reveal any sign of a carcass. So I presume it eventually went on its way, but I have no explanation for why it sat virtually motionless for 8+ hours. Do any of you guys have any ideas? Here's a photo I snapped of it.
                        I have squirrels in my back yard and they do that all of the time,especially when a hawk is out and about grocery shopping.

                        Comment

                        Welcome!

                        Collapse

                        Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                        If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                        And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                        Right Rail 1 Ad

                        Collapse

                        Top Active Users

                        Collapse

                        There are no top active users.

                        Right Rail 2 Ad

                        Collapse

                        Latest Topics

                        Collapse

                        Right Rail 3 Ad

                        Collapse

                        Footer Ad Widget

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X