Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some strange/unusual animal behaviors you've witnessed? My reason for asking is in the first comment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are some strange/unusual animal behaviors you've witnessed? My reason for asking is in the first comment.

What are some strange/unusual animal behaviors you've witnessed? My reason for asking is in the first comment.

While I was working yesterday morning, I noticed a gray squirrel sitting on a small tree branch about 20 feet off the ground. Ordinarily the sight of a squirrel wouldn't make me glance twice, but I rarely see them in this spot, so it stuck in my mind. Now here is the strange part - I first saw the squirrel at about 11 AM, and when I went by again at about 2 PM, it was still in the same spot, and in the exact position! I thought that was odd, so I went over to investigate. The squirrel was alive - it moved a couple inches when I got close - and didn't appear to be stuck; it was just sitting there like it was in a trance. I went by again at about 7 PM last evening, and the squirrel still hadn't moved from that spot! It was just sitting there on the limb, like it was frozen in place. I've never seen an animal act like that before. When I got there this morning it was finally gone, and a search around the tree didn't reveal any sign of a carcass. So I presume it eventually went on its way, but I have no explanation for why it sat virtually motionless for 8+ hours. Do any of you guys have any ideas? Here's a photo I snapped of it.
    Attached Files

Comment

Maybe it was going a little nutty....wow that was a terrible joke. I have no idea. I've never seen a grey squirrel stay still for more than like 15 seconds! Heck, when hunting them I don't think I've seen one be still for more than 2 seconds.

Comment

When my oldest was an infant and I still lived in a little duplex in Philly my wife came back in the house, baby in tow.
        "There's a squirrel that won't let me get to the car."

I came out, chased it off, usher her in the car. Thing never goes more than 15' away. As soon as I closed the door in it goes back to standing right in front of my door just facing it, head cocked. I startled it away. It came right back. (No decorations on door, I've seen them mob a door with Indian corn at Thanksgiving).
        I watched it for a bit and eventually it started gnawing at the drain in front of the door. I ran it off a little again and sure enough can hear young ones in the drain. Got a screw driver and freed them and mom grabbed them one by one and ran them up the tree. Nest was overtop the gutters, they fell out and found their way into the downspouts and from there to my drain.

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
          While I was working yesterday morning, I noticed a gray squirrel sitting on a small tree branch about 20 feet off the ground. Ordinarily the sight of a squirrel wouldn't make me glance twice, but I rarely see them in this spot, so it stuck in my mind. Now here is the strange part - I first saw the squirrel at about 11 AM, and when I went by again at about 2 PM, it was still in the same spot, and in the exact position! I thought that was odd, so I went over to investigate. The squirrel was alive - it moved a couple inches when I got close - and didn't appear to be stuck; it was just sitting there like it was in a trance. I went by again at about 7 PM last evening, and the squirrel still hadn't moved from that spot! It was just sitting there on the limb, like it was frozen in place. I've never seen an animal act like that before. When I got there this morning it was finally gone, and a search around the tree didn't reveal any sign of a carcass. So I presume it eventually went on its way, but I have no explanation for why it sat virtually motionless for 8+ hours. Do any of you guys have any ideas? Here's a photo I snapped of it.
          Maybe it was a possum hybrid.

Comment

If it allowed you to get that close without noticable movement, it sounds as though it might have been sick,
            sqiirrels do carry Rabies. Or maybe he was just waiting for a date that never showed up, must have been a
            hot one if he waited that long, poor guy !

Comment

If not for the length of time he sat there, I'd guess that a hawk or eagle was someplace near. I've seen songbirds freeze like that when a bird of prey was overhead or somewhere in the woods. I guess the time-span makes that unlikely, though. He might have just had a normal ailment like we get from time to time; maybe he'd eaten something bad, had an upset stomach, and was taking a sick day.

Comment

Looks like rabies.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                  Maybe it was going a little nutty....wow that was a terrible joke. I have no idea. I've never seen a grey squirrel stay still for more than like 15 seconds! Heck, when hunting them I don't think I've seen one be still for more than 2 seconds.
                  I've seen them freeze on the trunk when I've come near; usually they scamper around to the far side, but sometimes, if they're high enough up, they'll just freeze in place. Not a bad move, either; time and again, the only way I spot them is when the wind moves some of their tail-fur.

Comment

My best guess was either that it was sick, or it got hit by a car (this was right next to a road), and knocked silly. But if it was hit on the head, I have no idea how it got up there.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                      LMAO. That was so bad it was actually funny. I've spooked squirrels while hunting them, and had them freeze on the far side of the trunk for quite a while, but never hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
                        If not for the length of time he sat there, I'd guess that a hawk or eagle was someplace near. I've seen songbirds freeze like that when a bird of prey was overhead or somewhere in the woods. I guess the time-span makes that unlikely, though. He might have just had a normal ailment like we get from time to time; maybe he'd eaten something bad, had an upset stomach, and was taking a sick day.
                        I thought about the bird-of-prey angle too, because that was how he was acting. But I just can't see it, given the amount of time. My other idea was that maybe he was trying to take a dump, and had REALLY bad constipation, lol.

Comment

I should add, while it could've been sick, I seriously doubt it was rabies. From the research I've done, there has never been a documented case of rabies in a squirrel.

Comment

Adrenaline is quite a drug.

Comment

Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
                              My initial thought was he could see a cat on the ground you couldn't. But I've watched that. If the cat has that kind of patience, the squirrel forgets in about 15-20 minutes. Same as if you're sitting with your back to a tree.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget