Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have any of you guys tanned any hides or furs? If so, what formula did you use and how did you like the result? I've done a few in past years, but I was never completely happy with how they turned out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have any of you guys tanned any hides or furs? If so, what formula did you use and how did you like the result? I've done a few in past years, but I was never completely happy with how they turned out.

Have any of you guys tanned any hides or furs? If so, what formula did you use and how did you like the result? I've done a few in past years, but I was never completely happy with how they turned out.

I was taught to practice on small animals. I did a few small animals(squirrels, rabbits, etc.) with everything from brain tanning to products I bought online from China. Something I learned is that practicing on a small piece(like a 5"x5" piece) will result in the same product as the full size with much less work. I'd suggest doing the same...practice on the throwaway pieces with different products. I'd even try brain tanning if I were you.

Comment

Had the same result as you so now I take my hides to a professional tannery. Much less work plus better quality than I could do.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
        I was taught to practice on small animals. I did a few small animals(squirrels, rabbits, etc.) with everything from brain tanning to products I bought online from China. Something I learned is that practicing on a small piece(like a 5"x5" piece) will result in the same product as the full size with much less work. I'd suggest doing the same...practice on the throwaway pieces with different products. I'd even try brain tanning if I were you.
        Hey JM I just noticed over on the right side of this page you've entered the top 10 users, congratulations.

Comment

There are several products on the market, however, which ever you choose, be prepared to put in some work. After the tanning process itself, there is much to
          do in softening the piece of hide. It needs to be broken down through stretching
          and working it over an edge of a board. The secret to good results of course is
          the product used, but more important is the time you put into the fleshing job in
          the first place. The thinner you can flesh the hide and get it closer to the hair
          roots, the softer the skin will be. The fleshing process can only be done right
          with a sharp draw knife and that will take some knowhow and patience to learn.
          Tanning one's own hides may be satisfying to do, however, I am not sure it is
          worth the effort. After all my years as a taxidermist, I finally learned it was much
          easier to have tanning done at a profesional tannery. Tanning kits or supplies
          can be purchased at VanDykes Taxidermy, Chase Taxidermy and if you bring
          up taxidermy supplies on the internet, you will find many more. Good luck.

Comment

I noticed that too. Didn't you used to be like top 5 before that unfortunate incident a few years back when you had to start over from scratch?

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
              Had the same result as you so now I take my hides to a professional tannery. Much less work plus better quality than I could do.
              I've considered that option. What tannery do you use? Do the hides need to be stretched-and-dried beforehand?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                There are several products on the market, however, which ever you choose, be prepared to put in some work. After the tanning process itself, there is much to
                do in softening the piece of hide. It needs to be broken down through stretching
                the product used, but more important is the time you put into the fleshing job in
                the first place. The thinner you can flesh the hide and get it closer to the hair
                worth the effort. After all my years as a taxidermist, I finally learned it was much
                Thanks for the input. I don't mind putting in the work, as long as the finished product turns out well. My next-door neighbor happens to be a taxidermist, and he said he could flesh the hides for me at a small cost. I'm sure he would do a better job than I could. You mentioned that part of the secret is the product used - is there a specific product you would recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                  The above information concerning thinning of the hide pertains only to large animal hides such as deer,
                  bear, elk etc. In as much as most people are more likely to be tanning small mammal skins, the thinning
                  information does not pertain, only that all flesh and fat is removed. The one mammal that might need some
                  thinning is a coon, they are a very fatty skin animal and have to be well scraped of all fat. Small mammals
                  all have thin skins anyway. Hft, it has been too long ago that I did any tanning of my own and I am sure
                  different products are now on the market that I have no knowledge of and I would now hate to make a
                  recomendation for you and possible stear you wrong. Maybe your neighbor would be a better individual to
                  ask about that. In regards to your question concerning what needs to be done to hides prior to sending
                  to a tanner, they need to be well salted (I used cattle sale, it is a coarser salt than table salt) the salt will
                  become wet from the moisture drawn out of the skin. Remove the wet salt and apply dry salt and ship to
                  a tanner when the skins are dry and stiff. I used Yonas Bros. in Minn., but I am not sure if they do work
                  for individuals or just for prof. taxidermists. You might locate them on the internet and inquire. Sorry I could
                  not give you more specific info., too many years gone by I am afraid !

Comment

Yeah I was like 4th or 5th before that account got drop-kicked. Wonder how high I would've been by now lol.

Comment

You'd probably be 2nd, because I don't think anybody's catching charlie. Lol

Comment

I use Wolf River Tannery http://wolfrivertannery.com
                        in Shiocton WI

Comment

I use Wolf River Tannery http://wolfrivertannery.com
                          in Shiocton WI Hides should be fleshed and salted, dry but not brittle. They do it all for an extra charge.

Comment

Thanks. Will check it out.

Comment

I haven't but here's some help...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X