Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi...!!Does anybody live in a State or Province that has...or allegedly has...Mountain Lions...??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hi...!!Does anybody live in a State or Province that has...or allegedly has...Mountain Lions...??

    Hi...!! Does anybody live in a State or Province that has...or allegedly has...Mountain Lions...??

  • #2
    I think all of the lower 48 have mountain lions. Things never stop travelling. People have claimed to see them around where I live, but no established population. I'd love to see one in the wild one day. What about you, Bob?

    Comment


    • #3
      Iowa doesn't have a reproducing population, but at any given time there may be one or two roaming the state. Interestingly, they do not officially exist here (even though the DNR admits that they do show up once in a while), so they're unprotected. You can shoot them on sight, though to my knowledge nobody has recently. Not sure if I would shoot one or not.

      Comment


      • #4
        Likewise, in Michigan Mountain Lions are reported to be seen once in a while and it should be of no great surprise as in the UP there are a fair number of wolves, so
        I imagine that lions could also manage to live there. There have been a number
        of reports even in the lower portion over the years, but most of those have been
        of the black variety. I would like to see one, but I would have no desire to shoot
        one, there would be no reason to end the life of something so beautiful unless it
        was endangering the life of someone. I would imagine that JM is not far from
        right saying that most states could have an occasional lion.

        Comment


        • #5
          The Eastern slope of the Rockies and foothills of Alberta certainly have mountain lions or cougars. I am not sure of their numbers but know in some areas they are hunted to control the population because of livestock kills.
          I have never seen a cougar in the wilds in Alberta but I have seen a couple on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. The Island reportedly has the highest population of cougars in North America. That claim has been brought into question since research has shown them to travel great distances. This opens the possibility that the same cougar is being spotted across a huge range and misrepresenting a head count survey. This summer I was not surprised to hear of a cougar with a taste for small dogs and cats being shot within a block of my home which is located on the forested edge of a residential area on the Island.
          As I plan on riding my horse on the Island on abandoned logging roads in the high country cougars and black bears are a concern to me. Forget the remote chance of being attacked I am talking about my horse spooking and me getting thrown a longway from home!

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm sure you've heard the same rumors I've heard here in NY. Seems like there's always someone seeing one -- and ever since that one confirmed sighting, the roaming cat that came through from the West and was eventually killed in Connecticut, the supposed sightings have increased tenfold. I never flat-out disbelieve them, but I'm generally skeptical. Maybe so, maybe not. What I can't stand are the people who swear up and down that the DEC secretly released cougars to "control the deer population." I've even heard people claim that the DEC also secretly released timber wolves! Sure they did ... because first of all, they just happened to have a bunch of cougars and wolves standing by, and secondly, Albany would have no concerns about possible lawsuits when livestock starts turning up dead in the pastures. Not to mention all the years of legal maneuvering it took to get wolves reintroduced to Yellowstone National Park ... but hey, the NYDEC just felt free to blithely let a bunch go in farm country. Well, sorry, I guess it gets me a little worked up.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kody View Post
              The Eastern slope of the Rockies and foothills of Alberta certainly have mountain lions or cougars. I am not sure of their numbers but know in some areas they are hunted to control the population because of livestock kills.
              I have never seen a cougar in the wilds in Alberta but I have seen a couple on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. The Island reportedly has the highest population of cougars in North America. That claim has been brought into question since research has shown them to travel great distances. This opens the possibility that the same cougar is being spotted across a huge range and misrepresenting a head count survey. This summer I was not surprised to hear of a cougar with a taste for small dogs and cats being shot within a block of my home which is located on the forested edge of a residential area on the Island.
              As I plan on riding my horse on the Island on abandoned logging roads in the high country cougars and black bears are a concern to me. Forget the remote chance of being attacked I am talking about my horse spooking and me getting thrown a longway from home!
              Well, if you get thrown because the horse saw a cougar or bear, you know what they say - you don't have to outrun the bear (or cougar), you just have to outrun your horse. Good luck!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
                I'm sure you've heard the same rumors I've heard here in NY. Seems like there's always someone seeing one -- and ever since that one confirmed sighting, the roaming cat that came through from the West and was eventually killed in Connecticut, the supposed sightings have increased tenfold. I never flat-out disbelieve them, but I'm generally skeptical. Maybe so, maybe not. What I can't stand are the people who swear up and down that the DEC secretly released cougars to "control the deer population." I've even heard people claim that the DEC also secretly released timber wolves! Sure they did ... because first of all, they just happened to have a bunch of cougars and wolves standing by, and secondly, Albany would have no concerns about possible lawsuits when livestock starts turning up dead in the pastures. Not to mention all the years of legal maneuvering it took to get wolves reintroduced to Yellowstone National Park ... but hey, the NYDEC just felt free to blithely let a bunch go in farm country. Well, sorry, I guess it gets me a little worked up.
                I see we feel the same way about conspiracy theorists. Here in IA we've had the same rumors. Everything from the DNR releasing cougars and wolves, to my personal favorite - that they were stocking timber rattlesnakes to control the wild turkey population! I swear I'm not making that up; a couple of real loonies actually said that to a game warden a few years back.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I have lived in Oklahoma for the last 40 years coming here in 1975. In that time, I have actually laid eyes on 3 mountain lions, the first time being in 1978 or 79. The second time was in 1981. In the late 90's I had one follow my tracks for about a quarter mile til he got scared off by a passing truck. It wasn't until I saw it run that I knew what it was. So in spite of what various game rangers told me back in the 70's and 80's, Oklahoma has had big cats for many years.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    We're in the "allegedly" have crowd here in PA.
                    I've spoken to two three guys who I know in trust who told me the day they saw them THAT they saw them. One in my neck of the woods and the other just about 20 miles north of me.
                    Considering what the North Central part of the state is like, I'd find it hard to believe they're not out there. It can be 40 miles between towns with a functioning gas station up there.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Okwaho View Post
                      I'm sure you've heard the same rumors I've heard here in NY. Seems like there's always someone seeing one -- and ever since that one confirmed sighting, the roaming cat that came through from the West and was eventually killed in Connecticut, the supposed sightings have increased tenfold. I never flat-out disbelieve them, but I'm generally skeptical. Maybe so, maybe not. What I can't stand are the people who swear up and down that the DEC secretly released cougars to "control the deer population." I've even heard people claim that the DEC also secretly released timber wolves! Sure they did ... because first of all, they just happened to have a bunch of cougars and wolves standing by, and secondly, Albany would have no concerns about possible lawsuits when livestock starts turning up dead in the pastures. Not to mention all the years of legal maneuvering it took to get wolves reintroduced to Yellowstone National Park ... but hey, the NYDEC just felt free to blithely let a bunch go in farm country. Well, sorry, I guess it gets me a little worked up.
                      A crazy tale I've never decided to believe. Was introduced to a friend of a family member who's a state biologist here. I'd me the guy a couple of times, but was specifically directed to him about this, because when someone told me second hand I threw the BS flag.
                      He swears that he was at a truck stop diner counter one night and struck up a conversation with the driver who was next to him. Upon hearing what he did for a living the trucker volunteered that he had a cargo of coyotes that he was delivering for the PGC to release. (I heard this story in the mid '00s, but believe it was supposed to have occurred in the late '80s."
                      Biologist also calls BS and was invited out to the truck. Which was supposedly full of coyotes. (caged or not, that detail was left out).
                      I still don't know what to think of it.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The Biologists speculate the young male hit by a car in Connecticut was looking to establish his territory. Got a little carried away as he was thought to have traveled over a thousand miles looking.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                          Iowa doesn't have a reproducing population, but at any given time there may be one or two roaming the state. Interestingly, they do not officially exist here (even though the DNR admits that they do show up once in a while), so they're unprotected. You can shoot them on sight, though to my knowledge nobody has recently. Not sure if I would shoot one or not.
                          Dec 2013 cougar was shot in Sioux County, IA at a school bus stop.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                            Iowa doesn't have a reproducing population, but at any given time there may be one or two roaming the state. Interestingly, they do not officially exist here (even though the DNR admits that they do show up once in a while), so they're unprotected. You can shoot them on sight, though to my knowledge nobody has recently. Not sure if I would shoot one or not.
                            Dec 2013 cougar was shot in Sioux County, IA at a school bus stop.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                              Iowa doesn't have a reproducing population, but at any given time there may be one or two roaming the state. Interestingly, they do not officially exist here (even though the DNR admits that they do show up once in a while), so they're unprotected. You can shoot them on sight, though to my knowledge nobody has recently. Not sure if I would shoot one or not.
                              Dec 2013 cougar was shot in Sioux County, IA at a school bus stop.

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                              Right Rail 1 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Right Rail 3 Ad

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X