Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domestication of wolves

Domestication of wolves

I listened to John Bachelor interview a scientist on the domestication of wolves. They now have a complete genome of a tamir(sp) wolf and can be confident they can trace domestication back 16,000 years and possibly much more, as much as 35,000 years or back to the end of the ice age. They believe the Iceland Sled dog and Husky were two of the earliest domesticated. When they find some fossils of the various dogs they can then determine the genome of the animal and have more specific time line. Amazing science.

Comment

Interesting. I have to wonder about the first "domesticated" wolf - was it a pup that was raised by humans? I can't imagine an adult being tamed.

Comment

The bones of these dogs are thin,fragile and may not have survived that kind of time period. However, sure would be nice if some were found, maybe encased in ice.
        My wife and I have owned Siberian Huskies for many years, it is remarkable how similar their behavior is to a wolf's. Including the hunting and killing of prey.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
          The bones of these dogs are thin,fragile and may not have survived that kind of time period. However, sure would be nice if some were found, maybe encased in ice.
          My wife and I have owned Siberian Huskies for many years, it is remarkable how similar their behavior is to a wolf's. Including the hunting and killing of prey.
          I'm not a fan of huskies, never have been. Just not my thing. Something about their eyes gives me the creeps.

Comment

Huntfishtrap, what is it about a Siberian Husky's eyes that scare you?
            Attached Files

Comment

What?! I didn't think you were a wimp.
              See husky Jaz in the answer.

Comment

How can anyone be afraid or get the creeps from a husky? That is besides huntfishtrap. ;-)

Comment

Well charlie, I will admit, THAT one does look fairly harmless. But it doesn't have blue eyes either. In regard to my being a "wimp" - I seem to recall something about you confessing to being creeped out by snakes... ;-) In all seriousness, we all have our little phobias. I can't really explain it, other than I'm not really a big dog-lover in general. And something about a blue-eyed animal just seems unnatural.

Comment

What can I say...other than, how do you like snakes? ;-)

Comment

Snowflake looks real nice. Is it hard to keep her clean?
                      A relative has an all white and all black siblings and the white one is definitely more work.
                      BTW, the black male just won his MACH designation. That is 'Master Agility Champion'.
                      Quite an accomplishment as a dog has to run 20 perfect courses in under the set time limits to get the title. Sometimes you see a competition on TV where they race around the course and do all the obstacles. Any breed is capable of doing it with a lot of training and desire on the dogs part.

Comment

I'm not a fan of having pets. However, I'll probably get one if I ever move into a rural area. But the dog will need to earn its keep by helping guard the place, hunt, and track wounded deer.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget