Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think of coyote hunting in the spring and early summer? I have heard that it's quite effective if you're near an active den, but it's always seemed kind of cruel to leave the pups to starve if you kill the parents.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think of coyote hunting in the spring and early summer? I have heard that it's quite effective if you're near an active den, but it's always seemed kind of cruel to leave the pups to starve if you kill the parents.

What do you guys think of coyote hunting in the spring and early summer? I have heard that it's quite effective if you're near an active den, but it's always seemed kind of cruel to leave the pups to starve if you kill the parents.

Hunters around where I am like the winter so they can track their movements and find the dens.
    I shoot them when ever I see one.

Comment

I know people who would love to pick off the caregiver near a den. Kill more than one with one shot. Not saying I agree with this, but many people do.

Comment

It's spring turkey season. So far 2 coyotes have came into turkey calls- found guilty, execution by #5 nickel plate shot at 20 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
          It's spring turkey season. So far 2 coyotes have came into turkey calls- found guilty, execution by #5 nickel plate shot at 20 yards.
          Just for the sake of conversation, let's assume it was legal to shoot deer in the spring and early summer, when the does have fawns dependent on them. Would you shoot a doe in, say, June, knowing you were probably leaving her fawns to die? Or how about a hen turkey that might have poults, if it was legal to do so? I'm just trying to understand why people feel so differently about coyotes than about almost any other animal.

Comment

While young I spent a few years as a member of a deer depredation team and we frequently shot deer March to May. In some special cases deer were culled during the summer, including the fawns. I was young at the time and thought this was a way to extend my hunting. However, I quickly learned it is not hunting and I found it sickening, perhaps necessary but sickening. In many ways it ruined my joy of deer hunting and would not consider doing it again. As for turkeys poults are quickly adopted by any other hen that comes across them and it's debatable if poults really need a hen for survival.
            Because I'm a dog guy shooting coyotes has become harder. As a result I do not actively hunt them. Depending on my mood I may or may not shoot on sight. However, if a coyote comes in to a turkey or deer call, as in bow or shotgun range. Well he is a guilty one and all bets on his safety are off.

Comment

Deer and turkeys are game animals with trophy status. Coyotes are unprotected varmints with no widespread accepted trophy status. Therefore they have little value to society. Interestingly wolves were perceived as overprotected varmints until, for a short period, they were hunted and trapped with a license lottery. They became a premier big game animal.
              A wise elderly fellow during my youth told me if the bald eagle could cup their wings into a spread of decoys they would never have become endangered. There's a lot of truth to that.

Comment

Well reasoned comments as usual charlie. I mostly agree with you, except for one thing. You refer to coyotes that come in to a turkey or deer call as "guilty". I say, guilty of what? Of trying to catch a deer or turkey for dinner - essentially the same thing that we're doing? What's so awful about that? I've never understood why a lot of people hate coyotes simply because they eat some of the same things we do. I also don't like the practice of assigning relative value to an animal just because someone somewhere sometime decided that it was a "trophy" or a "varmint". Just my 2 cents.

Comment

OK guilty might not be the best term, just thought it sounded good before the death penalty. Some coyotes are bold, I think the bold ones that approach a human need to be culled. Let me be clear I do not hate (well except maybe snakes). Whether we like it or not some animals are worth more than others. No one person decided that it is society as a whole. If society decided to protect coyotes and issue a license. Then develop a coyote scoring system, the worth of coyotes would rise considerably.

Comment

Fair enough. I was not singling you out in my criticism of the attitude many people have toward coyotes. Lest anyone think I'm some sort of coyote-hugger - most of the year I won't turn down a shot at one either, but I shoot them because I think they're as much a trophy in their own right as a deer or turkey.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                      Hunters around where I am like the winter so they can track their movements and find the dens.
                      I shoot them when ever I see one.
                      Yep, I will shoot them on sight.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                        I know people who would love to pick off the caregiver near a den. Kill more than one with one shot. Not saying I agree with this, but many people do.
                        It's a good strategy. When I come across a sounder of pigs, I always shoot the sow first. Any small ones that get away are more likely to die and that's fine with me.

Comment

Talk with anyone who's had coyotes kill their cows during calving. Then you won't have such a bleeding heart.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Strangers meet.
                            by 99explorer
                            A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                            They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                            No identification markers...
                            08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
                          • OU football
                            by FirstBubba
                            Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                            The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                            08-16-2019, 10:35 PM
                          • True romance.
                            by 99explorer
                            A doctor and a bus driver are both in love with the same woman, a beautiful girl named Sarah.
                            The bus driver has to go on a long bus trip that will...
                            08-16-2019, 09:11 AM
                          • A question of standing.
                            by 99explorer
                            A man says to his father, "I'm standing behind you."
                            The father replies, "And I am standing behind you, son."
                            Could this...
                            08-15-2019, 01:59 PM
                          • Cashier problem.
                            by 99explorer
                            You are a cashier and owe a customer $41 change from a $50 bill.
                            You have every denomination of paper currency in the drawer except $1 bills, and...
                            08-14-2019, 03:39 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X