Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think about predator hunting contests? Good promotion for hunting or are they giving hunters a black eye? Would you participate in one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about predator hunting contests? Good promotion for hunting or are they giving hunters a black eye? Would you participate in one?

What do you think about predator hunting contests? Good promotion for hunting or are they giving hunters a black eye? Would you participate in one?

It depends on the contest. I have seen some where it involves bringing in the biggest coyote during trapping season for a reward(not sure if this could be considered what your question is referring to). I have no problem with a contest like this. I do have a problem with the ones that involve killing as much as possible. Saw the results at one where a guy was using a .338 lapua. As you would imagine, a small grey fox does not stand up well to a .338. Waste of an animal. All about the killing, nothing about the hunting.

Comment

I think the issue is about perception of us from the non-hunting public. I'd say as attitudes about hunting and hunters change, they are a black eye for us. The risk is allowing them to become spectacles where anti-hunters are given a public voice. Hunting is a personal pursuit for me and the only contest I'm interested in is inside my own head.

Comment

In Pennsylvania, alot of counties hold coyote contests, which also fall along the same few weeks of rifled buck season. Coyotes are such a menacing animal that has really taken over a lot of wooded areas, and even into residential housing plans in rural areas. People fear for the safety of their yard dogs, and fawns are feared to be wiped out by the coyotes taking over. I would say they are good because it is helping control the population, yet also giving deer hunters a "second" animal to hunt for, while sitting in a stand freezing your buns off. I agree that quantity competitions are a bit "overkill", pun intended, whereas quality competitions, based off the pounds or size of the animal are completely different and quite fun.

Comment

Originally posted by 4everAutumn View Post
          I think the issue is about perception of us from the non-hunting public. I'd say as attitudes about hunting and hunters change, they are a black eye for us. The risk is allowing them to become spectacles where anti-hunters are given a public voice. Hunting is a personal pursuit for me and the only contest I'm interested in is inside my own head.
          How this forum has changed over the course of the last few years, Years ago, I was the one harping about public perception and the damage done by giving hunters a 'black eye". Now I am pleaed to be singing from the chorus. The general public needs to understand that hunters are a key component in the conservation of wildlife. Thousands of hunters pay to become the army of wildlife managers controlling and maintaining healthy game populations under the strict supervision of Provincial and State Fish and Game authorities. If hunters are preceived as killers and not sportsman our sport will be in serious jeaprody.

Comment

If it would help keep the balance in the environment and the State is not doing anything to bring things in balance, I would be for it.

Comment

There are just too many people who are on the fence about hunting. It would take very little to turn someone who doesn't really care either way into a new voice against us. We can be proud of what we do, but we need to be always mindful of the message we send as well. Not only should we show concern for the game we hunt, but we should be stewards for the right to do so.

Comment

I totally agree. I've never been one of those people who thinks that being proud of being a hunter = flaunting it for everyone to see. If somebody asks me a question about hunting, I'll answer honestly, but I don't wave the bloody facts under the noses of non-hunters.
                @Kody, I think the change in the overall tone of the site has a lot to do with the fact that there are fewer users, and the ones that are left are the more sensible ones (for the most part )

Comment

That's a tough question. I guess I would agree with JM - "size" contests are no big deal, but I don't like "numbers" contests. In my experience any contest with a monetary or other valuable reward encourages some people to push the boundaries of right and wrong. Hunting just doesn't need any bad press right now.

Comment

Hi...

Here in the Lower Catskill Mountains of NY we have an annual coyote hunt...with many participants...!! Coyotes taken become the property of the sponsors...!!

Usually...we get the 'usual' amount of flack from some anti-hunters...or others who have other ideas as to why the hunt should not be held...!!

The hunters...and most non-hunters appear to like it a lot...and we get good local newspaper coverage re: same as well...!!

I would have to say they most local residents are for it...especially considering the amount of wildlife and farm life that coyotes kill every year...!!

Comment

I don't have a problem with them, but I feel like foxes and bobcats are too cool to kill, I have no problem with coyotes.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                        It depends on the contest. I have seen some where it involves bringing in the biggest coyote during trapping season for a reward(not sure if this could be considered what your question is referring to). I have no problem with a contest like this. I do have a problem with the ones that involve killing as much as possible. Saw the results at one where a guy was using a .338 lapua. As you would imagine, a small grey fox does not stand up well to a .338. Waste of an animal. All about the killing, nothing about the hunting.
                        The killing as many as possible to determine the winner is what I'm questioning.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Parallax adj
                          by CD2
                          Somebody wanted my Leupold VX1 3-9x a while back and figured Id get a new Freedom .22 lr model to replace it.

Bud never came for scope and...
                          08-07-2022, 06:22 PM
                        • TriggerTech installed
                          by fitch270
                          First off an apology, the lens protector on my cellphone case is getting scuffed up so pics aren’t so clear.

Mailman brought this yesterday,...
                          08-06-2022, 10:09 PM
                        • Aquila ammo test
                          by dewman
                          Tested Aquila Super Colibri (590fps), Super Extra hp (1280fps) & Interceptor (1470 fps ).
                          Super Colibri (590) maybe good up to 30' 3-1/2"-4"...
                          08-05-2022, 05:11 PM
                        • Show and Tell
                          by Amflyer
                          Show me a picture and tell me (us) about your favorite hunting or fishing something.
                          08-04-2022, 07:23 PM
                        • College Orientation News
                          by fitch270
                          Yesterday I finally got to check out the college the Kid will be attending in just three short weeks. I wasn’t really sure what to expect but left with...
                          07-30-2022, 12:37 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X