Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think about sewing up bullet holes or accidental knife cuts in pelts (fox, coyote, etc.)? it seems to be a pretty widely-accepted practice, but I've always thought it a bit dishonest, though I confess I've done it on occasion.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about sewing up bullet holes or accidental knife cuts in pelts (fox, coyote, etc.)? it seems to be a pretty widely-accepted practice, but I've always thought it a bit dishonest, though I confess I've done it on occasion.

What do you think about sewing up bullet holes or accidental knife cuts in pelts (fox, coyote, etc.)? it seems to be a pretty widely-accepted practice, but I've always thought it a bit dishonest, though I confess I've done it on occasion.

Not to be a smart___, but taxidermists sew up a lot more than a hole when doing a mount, so I wouldn't be concerned with the dishonest part. I see nothing wrong with it, but on something with long fur I would just leave the hole. Some people put a patch over it while drying so that it is held together and then removed(still a hole, but it looks more like a straight cut than a hole).

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
      Not to be a smart___, but taxidermists sew up a lot more than a hole when doing a mount, so I wouldn't be concerned with the dishonest part. I see nothing wrong with it, but on something with long fur I would just leave the hole. Some people put a patch over it while drying so that it is held together and then removed(still a hole, but it looks more like a straight cut than a hole).
      That's a good point JM. If holes are no big deal though, why do fur-buyers usually dock the price of the pelt when they see one (in my experience)? That's the part that always seemed a bit dishonest - trying to slip something that would affect the price for the pelt past them. Maybe I'm completely off-base though. It sure wouldn't be the first time. Lol

Comment

Well. If I was buying hides I wouldn't want holes in them either I suppose. I have never sold hides. I always give them to a family member(I usually skin them out and freeze since he lives far away). He cleans them up and sells them and I've always trusted him with my split.

Comment

In that business I think sewing up holes is more or less expected. Some hunters and trappers make it a practice, others do not. Most fur buyers I've watched randomly check at least a few of your hides. If there is too much of that the price is adjusted. It's a cost of doing business.

Comment

I didn't think there was a market for fur anymore, how much can you get for a typical coon or muskrat hide?

Comment

Originally posted by woodcockpro View Post
              I didn't think there was a market for fur anymore, how much can you get for a typical coon or muskrat hide?
              Prices vary on quality/size. Fur markets are down. A recent local auction showed that you'll probably get $2-5 each muskrat and $5-8 for raccoon.

Comment

That's a shame really that prices are so low.

Comment

Right now prices are pretty much garbage, except for fox, coyotes and the exotics like wolf and lynx cat (the fur trade term for high-dollar western bobcat). JM's pretty close on the prices for muskrat and coon here in the Midwest. Compare that with the prices paid early in the 2013-14 season, when I averaged over $20 apiece for coons, and rats averaged $10 or more apiece. A guy could actually make some money at those prices. But of course they didn't last - that's the way of the market. I didn't even trap this past season, and I probably won't until prices rebound enough so that I at least break even.

Comment

A good fur buyer is going to notice a hole whether it is sewn or left alone.

Comment

Is there a method of sewing a hide so that it's not noticeable?

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
                        Is there a method of sewing a hide so that it's not noticeable?
                        If you're selling the hides "green", as I do, then yes. If you're moderately handy with a needle and thread you can stitch up all but the most gaping holes so that they're invisible under the fur. If you're selling stretched-and-dried pelts that are inside-out so that the leather is visible, then probably not. Just this year my brother shot a coyote with a muzzleloader and blew a 4" hole out the far side. I sewed it up and he got $40 for it (not stretched-and-dried), so I'm sure they didn't see anything.

Comment

I think it is dishonest if it's a case of misrepresenting the condition of the fur to an unsuspecting buyer.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
                            I think it is dishonest if it's a case of misrepresenting the condition of the fur to an unsuspecting buyer.
                            I know, that's what I've always felt. But literally every trapper or predator hunter I've met does it.

Comment

Hi...

There is nothing wrong with trying to make your pelts look as good as possible. By all means, sew up holes which might otherwise detract from the fur's value...!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget