Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In states that have a calendar year hunting license: Does the New Year license start a new possession limit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In states that have a calendar year hunting license: Does the New Year license start a new possession limit?

In states that have a calendar year hunting license: Does the New Year license start a new possession limit?

The possession limit is the maximum amount of a species of game you can have at one time. I would say the calendar year or new license wouldn't change that since the game you previously took is still in your possession.

Comment

Not quite sure I understand the question charlie. As 4everAutumn stated, the possession limit refers to the amount of game you can have in your possession at any one time. The license you're carrying (as long as it is valid) doesn't matter as far as I know.

Comment

In WI it's a per season possession limit. Our hunting licenses are issued for the season even if a particular season runs past the New Year. When a new license is issue for the next season new limits apply.
        4everAutunm's answer makes sense. For example IA pheasant season continues into 2015, but a new license is required Jan 1 even though it's the same season.?
        Best these things are not "over thought", we consume upland game almost as fast as we can bag it so a possession limit is rarely maintained for any length of time. Just love those organic meats.
        Btw, I'm becoming a big fan of Iowa's hunting opportunities. Your folks at the IDNR are doing a lot things right.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie elk View Post
          In WI it's a per season possession limit. Our hunting licenses are issued for the season even if a particular season runs past the New Year. When a new license is issue for the next season new limits apply.
          4everAutunm's answer makes sense. For example IA pheasant season continues into 2015, but a new license is required Jan 1 even though it's the same season.?
          Best these things are not "over thought", we consume upland game almost as fast as we can bag it so a possession limit is rarely maintained for any length of time. Just love those organic meats.
          Btw, I'm becoming a big fan of Iowa's hunting opportunities. Your folks at the IDNR are doing a lot things right.
          Hi, Charlie. The 2014 license is good through January 10, 2015 which is also the last day of pheasant season. There are plenty of other opportunities for small game that continue past the 10th though so the new license is first on my Christmas list. I'm with you on eating game. Many times, we'll eat it the same day we clean it. Iowa DNR does a great job when they are allowed to manage our resources. Unfortunately, there are many elected "cooks" that want to be in that kitchen too.

Comment

I see what you mean now. I've honestly never thought much about possession limits, because we eat a lot of wild game, so having too much in our possession is never really a problem. Lol
            I agree about our DNR. Every time I hear a horror story about your WI DNR, I'm glad I live in Iowa . I hear they are getting rid of those stupid back tags anyway, which is a step forward. I've always hated the idea of those things. They make you feel like a criminal, IMO.

Comment

BTW charlie, you mentioned a while back that you were going to be doing some late-season pheasant hunting here in IA. How did you do?

Comment

Originally posted by huntfishtrap View Post
                BTW charlie, you mentioned a while back that you were going to be doing some late-season pheasant hunting here in IA. How did you do?
                Great hunting. Limited out on the first 3 day trip. Flushed at least a hundred birds, mostly hens but still a lot fun for my dog and myself. Just got back from a second hunt (2 days) bagged 3 and again flushed a ton of birds but only 3 were roosters. My eyes were watering a lot from the bitter wind so it is entirely possible that more might have been roosters.

Comment

Heck I thought I had to buy a 2015 license to hunt IA pheasants in January. There's a special place that is only open to hunt in January. It's closed all the rest of the season, so of course one would think there should be a lot fat roosters there...
                  huntfishtrap don't get me going on those back tags. Prisoners are not required to wear a back number because it is too demeaning and then my fellow deer hunters put up with the indignity. This is the one regulation where I practice some of David Thoreau's civil disobedience.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                    by fitch270
                    Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                    09-27-2020, 05:55 PM
                  • Grips and stocks
                    by dewman
                    so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                    09-27-2020, 08:55 AM
                  • Youth pheasant hike
                    by fitch270
                    Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                    09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                  • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                    by fitch270
                    Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                    09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                  • Unusual Sound
                    by jhjimbo
                    At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                    09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X