Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Me and my buddies wanna go hunt rabbits and small game I want the best/cheapest flu fli for it if u could help me out that'd be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me and my buddies wanna go hunt rabbits and small game I want the best/cheapest flu fli for it if u could help me out that'd be

Me and my buddies wanna go hunt rabbits and small game I want the best/cheapest flu fli for it if u could help me out that'd be great! I shoot trade to!

I'll bite.
    What?

Comment

WTH is a flu fli?

Comment

I'll translate what I think he means, guys. He wants to hunt small game with flu-flu arrows, which are a special type of arrow designed to travel only a short distance, so you don't lose them on errant shots. So he's looking for recommendations on the best/cheapest flu-flu's out there, and he shoots traditional equipment - i.e., recurve or longbow, no sights, rest or release.
        I wish I could help, but I know next to nothing about flu-flu's beyond what I've just written, that's why I haven't posted anything until now.

Comment

Tristonhunt696, maybe you should try posting this question on the Field and Stream website; it gets a lot more traffic, and maybe somebody who knows something about flu-flu's will see it.
          (And if you do, try not to misspell important words - that just confuses people!)

Comment

I would use target tips for rabbits. For squirrels they make a judo point that has a blunt tip and spring loaded whiskers so the arrow knocks out the squirrel and then falls back to the ground, maybe. The are on the expensive side and they don't always come back down.
            Good luck.

Comment

I would use target tips for rabbits. For squirrels they make a judo point that has a blunt tip and spring loaded whiskers so the arrow knocks out the squirrel and then falls back to the ground, maybe. The are on the expensive side and they don't always come back down.
              Good luck.

Comment

The flu-flu arrow was designed for shooting flying birds. The flu-flu fletching slows the arrow and if the shot is missed the arrow usually sticks straight in the ground making arrow recovery easier. A sharp broadhead must be used to kill cleanly.
                For rabbits and other small game use a regular fletched arrow, broadhead with a broadhead stopper. Zwickey makes a good one called Scorpio. Other companies make special small game broadheads that work well.
                Do not use target or judo points, rabbits and squirrels could run off if not hit in the brain.
                Keep in mind an arrow kills by hemorrhage not shock.
                later,
                charlie

Comment

Charlie Elk, I would respectfully disagree with about using judo tips for small game. If you're shooting a reasonably high-poundage bow (over 60 pounds), those judo tips will completely penetrate any squirrel or rabbit I've ever encountered. They are just as lethal as a broadhead, and you don't lose/break as many arrows. If you're using traditional equipment, they might not be the best choice though, because your poundage is usually lower. And I do agree that target points aren't a good idea for any kind of hunting.

Comment

60+ lb. bow, is in my humble opinion overkill for small game. For the sake of discussion let's assume that's bow in use. A judo is going to completely pass thru with a lot of velocity tearing a hole on its way if the wires don't bend back to shaft. If that happens you have a blunt target point, which leaves a poor blood trail. Also consider if you hit a tree, rock or whatever the arrow is most likely not going to be useable again.
                    I much prefer an arrow stopper behind a small broadhead shot from a 45-50 lb. bow. The stopper slows the arrow as it moves up the shaft. With the shaft in the critter recovery is much easier.
                    later,
                    charlie

Comment

I do pretty much all my small game archery while bowhunting for deer, that's why I use the heavy poundage. I just carry a couple of judo-tipped arrows in my quiver with my deer broadheads, and if I get a shot at a squirrel or rabbit when there aren't any deer around, I take it. Nothing beats "live practice" like that to prepare you for when that big buck comes along. Neither I nor my brother, who has used judo tips longer than I have, have ever lost a squirrel or rabbit hit with one of them; most drop in their tracks, with the rare exception making it a few yards before expiring.
                      And judo tips are actually very tough - hitting a tree rarely damages them or the arrow. Rocks can hurt them or the arrow though, but since they don't penetrate the ground very far rocks aren't a big concern.
                      But hey, to each their own eh?

Comment

Tristonhunt is shooting trade. In the old school Trade means primitive bow, a self bow usually made from the branch of a yew or Osage.
                        The answer section does not allow links to be posted so; On the message board I posted a link to a thread in Primitive Archer with pictures of a trade bow. It's in Bowhunting - Trade Bows
                        This is a lost art form of hunting. I killed my first bow deer with a trade bow at age 14. Thanks for bringing back the memories Tristonhunt.
                        later,
                        charlie

Comment

HFT, your post went up while I was writing my last one. You're right to each his own but there is a difference from an opportunistic kill (squirrel from a deer stand) and seeking out small game on purpose.
                          My post was meant to address Trinston's concerns, he is not using modern equipment. He is using trade gear and is setting out to specifically hunt small game.
                          Your archery equipment and his are not even in the same world. Check out the link I put up on the message board and you'll see what I mean.
                          later,
                          charlie

Comment

charlie elk, I wasn't advising Triston to use judo tips, in fact I even said they might not be the best idea for somebody using traditional equipment, which would include trade. I was simply responding to your statement that judo tips weren't suitable for any small game hunting.
                            You have some good advice for Triston, but we will have to agree to disagree about the judo tips.

Comment

I'm going to have to thank you all for the education on this one.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                                by fitch270
                                Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                                Today, 08:27 PM
                              • Unusual Sound
                                by jhjimbo
                                At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                                Today, 02:17 PM
                              • bedding on new rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                                Today, 12:22 AM
                              • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                                by fitch270
                                Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                                Yesterday, 08:57 PM
                              • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                                by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                                09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X