Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any suggestions for getting fur/hair off of game meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any suggestions for getting fur/hair off of game meat?

Any suggestions for getting fur/hair off of game meat?

-Just use a wet towel(it is no more exciting than it sounds)and dry it off right away. If you are going to cook or freeze it right away just use running water with some decent pressure.
    --Next time before skinning try soaking/hosing the hide down with water to keep the hair stuck together(and take your time skinning).

Comment

Just a light going over with a Bernzomatic torch will get the hair off.

Comment

When I do my own quartering, I was told use a torch to burn it off. I never had any issues using this method but BE QUICK when you do it. Apparently you can taste the burnt hair on it if you hold the flame too long on the meat.

Comment

I have used a hand torch if the critter was really hairy but usually a quick rinse will do it. As the years have passed my skinning has gotten better and there isn't that much hair to deal with.

Comment

The other suggestions are good, but I usually just pick it off with my fingers, I find that does a better job than a towel, although it takes longer.
            Not trying to be a smart-a$$ here, but honestly, it's really best to not get hair on the meat in the first place, if it can possibly be avoided.

Comment

Take a clean dry cloth and put some light olive oil on it and wipe the hair off. A friend of my grandfathers showed us that one year. Also a hatchet and mallet if you are near the truck to split the pelvis makes cleaning the back door pretty easy, better than a bone saw that rips and tears into intestines if you aren't careful.

Comment

Huntfishtrap you're not being a sarta$$, but as careful as I can be some still gets on the meat. I just have a grandson that if he sees any hair/fur on game meat he will not eat it. Just checking to see how others handle the hair/fur issue.

Comment

IF POSSIBLE,wet the hide before skinning getting loose hair off first.I would not recommend burning it off .Take your time getting it off,continue after trimming.I'm kinda like ozarkghost grandson . I don't care to eat hair in my eggs either .

Comment

I was getting frustrated picking the individuals hair off before I cooked my first squirrels. I decided to try a nail cleaning brush. I dried the squirrels off first and then brushed them with the nail brush. It picked the hair right off.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                      by fitch270
                      Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                      Today, 08:27 PM
                    • Unusual Sound
                      by jhjimbo
                      At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                      Today, 02:17 PM
                    • bedding on new rifle
                      by Amflyer
                      Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                      Today, 12:22 AM
                    • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                      by fitch270
                      Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                      Yesterday, 08:57 PM
                    • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                      by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                      09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X