Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you are hunting on public land next to private land clearly marked as no trespassing, do you give a buffer or do you hunt to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you are hunting on public land next to private land clearly marked as no trespassing, do you give a buffer or do you hunt to

If you are hunting on public land next to private land clearly marked as no trespassing, do you give a buffer or do you hunt to the edge and hope no game falls over the property line? Would you retrieve any game that might go over the line without permission?

I would respect the fact that it is public land to begin with(free to hunt) and make sure that I gave the private land owner a buffer zone unless I spoke to them prior to hunting and they said it was okay to go onto their land and retrieve game that has died on their property. Legally you can hunt right up until the border, but that bullet only needs to be a few inches off and that deer can run 100 or more yards(onto private property).

Comment

Laws vary by state, but in Iowa where I live, a hunter doesn’t need landowner permission for the unarmed retrieval of game that escapes or dies on someone else’s property. Not saying I agree with it, but that's the law here.

Comment

@4everAutumn,
        In other words; your state allows trespassing?

Comment

I live in Iowa too, and 4everAutumn is right about the law here. Personally I prefer to stay beyond easy shooting range ( ~40 yards for bowhunting, ~100 yards for gun hunting) of the boundary when hunting on public land. And if I do hit an animal that makes it onto the private land, I try to contact the landowner when before trailing, when possible. As 4ever stated, it is legal to go after wounded game here in Iowa if you're unarmed, and I have in cases where I couldn't contact the landowner.

Comment

Even here in Iowa I would not hunt right on the property line and try for shots where the game would easily cross over.

Comment

JM: This is right off of the IADNR Website www.iowadnr.gov
              I didn’t write the laws, I just told you what they were.

“Trespass” means entering property without
              the express permission of the owner, lessee or person
              in lawful possession, with the intent to commit
              a public offense; to use, remove therefrom, alter,
              damage, harass, or place anything animate or inanimate,
              or to hunt, fish or trap on the property. The
              term trespass does not mean entering the right-ofway
              of a public road or highway. Railroad right-ofways
              are considered private property.
              This paragraph does not prohibit the unarmed
              pursuit of game or furbearing animals lawfully
              injured or killed which come to rest on or escape to
              the property of another.

Comment

-So if you wanted to you could go for a walk on anyone's property as long as you don't damage anything or bring a weapon?
                -Where I live trespassing is going on someones land without their permission...period.

Comment

JM: Big stretch between “Going for a walk” and retrieving downed game. Pretty sure the walk would be covered by the “intent to use” portion and at the landowner’s discretion to press charges. At any rate, I do wish our trespass laws had the teeth that Missouri’s has. As I stated before, I don’t necessarily agree with them, but they are what they are.

Comment

Generally speaking I try to stay clear. I did have a situation where a buck arrowed on property I had permission to hunt ran just far enough to be mere yards over the property line. We still went looking for permission but after ascertaining that no one was home, there was no way I was going to let an animal rot in a remote corner of a property surrounded by area I had hunted legally and had permission to be on. It was trespassing. I was in and out of that spot in minutes, was away from the line while hunting and even shot in the opposite direction. The buck had just enough grit in him to reach the line. So I ask you all, which is more ethical (I know where the textbook legality lies) honoring the letter of the law or not letting the animal go to waste? One other point. I'm in SE Pennsylvania. Even in the state game lands within 30 miles of me, which I hunt, it's difficult to be more than a few hundred yards away from private property. What's a deer hunter to do?

Comment

I ,appreciate jcarln"s honest responce, knowing full well legally he was wrong.My brother once asked for permission and was denied entry ,only to watch the landowner arrive and claim the deer.Another time we were stopped by federal game wardens that denied access to govt. property to retrieve a visible downed animal.Later this animal showed up at a public processors station with a road kill tag by the same wardens.To answer your question, yes give plenty of buffer zone.WOULD i CROSS PROPERTY LINE? NOT ADVISEABLE,

Comment

jcarlin, I hate to say it, but you should have been arrested. Knowingly breaking the law is poaching when it comes to game laws. Get to know your neighbors before the hunt starts, you owe it to the wildlife, yourself and the owners of the land you should not have been on. If you don't know before the hunt, don't pull the trigger.

Comment

I would have done what jcarlin did and I'm sure most other people would have also. Let an animal rot because you can't contact the neighbor? I wouldn't. Yes I guess you should get to know all the neighbors but when going door to door looking for a spot to hunt, sometimes even last minute, that's not always possible. Seems like more states need to adopt the go on other's land only if retrieving an injured animal law. Makes sense to me. Why do many of you oppose it?

Comment

"Let an animal rot because you can't contact the neighbor? I wouldn't." - You messed up by not preparing for the hunt. Hunting is a lot more than pulling the trigger. Know where you can go and plan for the worst before the hunt starts. Don't act like a baby and do something illegal because you messed up. You owe it to the wildlife to do better.

Comment

schmakenzie, Have you ever screwed up when hunting? If not then your criticism is valid, otherwise you know what they say - "let he who is without sin cast the first stone".
                              I agree, in a perfect world, we would all know and get along with every landowner on all sides of our hunting spots, and we would never hit a deer (or anything else) badly anyway, so this issue would never come up. But it's not a perfect world is it?
                              There are times when either we don't know the adjoining landowners, when hunting out of state, etc., or when they are anti-hunting and do not allow anyone on for any reason. And there are times when we hit game badly - because it happens to everyone eventually, no matter how well you try to prepare and execute.
                              In short, this is a divisive issue, and I appreciate your side of the argument, but I find your holier-than-thou attitude a bit aggravating.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                                by fitch270
                                Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                                Today, 08:27 PM
                              • Unusual Sound
                                by jhjimbo
                                At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                                Today, 02:17 PM
                              • bedding on new rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                                Today, 12:22 AM
                              • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                                by fitch270
                                Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                                Yesterday, 08:57 PM
                              • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                                by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                                09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X