Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just found that I have a skunk or skunks living under my back shed. The inside of my shed now smells like the insides of the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just found that I have a skunk or skunks living under my back shed. The inside of my shed now smells like the insides of the

I just found that I have a skunk or skunks living under my back shed. The inside of my shed now smells like the insides of the residents under it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of them? Things that I can think of may not be appropriate, since my neighbors have pet cats that they seem to feel the need to share with the neighborhood. I would appreciate any ideas.

I can think of two options:
    1. Live trap. Stick some cat food or sardines inside for bait and lay an old towel/blanket on top of it. This should keep them calm enough that they wont spray...neighbors might not like it if their cats get in and have to spend a night in the trap though haha.
    2. There are sprays that supposedly repel skunks...maybe if you sprayed it under your shed it would make them move out.

Comment

Maybe some peanut butter instead of cat food/sardines would keep your neighbors cats out.

Comment

JM: The repellent was what I was kind of thinking, since I have been sprayed more times than I’d like to remember. The live trap does have some diabolical merit though, because I think the neighbors have a kitty door…

Comment

You have my sympathies. If it was my shed I would probably burn it down and start over again.
          Although I must say if you live trap those skunks I do like and approve of your kitty door disposal idea..
          Good luck.
          later,
          charlie

Comment

I used to catch them in a live trap and had a cat and lots of other cats in the area but never caught one, I did catch some opossums though. My grandfather lives next to a lake and had a bad skunk problem and would catch them put a towel over the trap and drown them in the lake it was effective. Hope this helps... were glasses when you go to put the towel on them and use peanut butter that is what I caught them with.
            Seth

Comment

guessing you live in city limits? if not, use a gun that will kill it instantly so it has no chance at all to spray before it dies, maybe some kind of rifle. i would not suggest live traps, because chances are you will get sprayed in attempting to move it/cover it up and some how release it with out getting sprayed. If i were you i would either shoot it or get a trap that will kill it instantly, if a cat fell into it, well its the neighbors fault for not being responsible enough to watch their cat. there are other ways cats will die if owners let them loose (ex: coyotes, cars, starvation)

Comment

@MN,
                You must be luckier than me. I've had skunks caught perfectly in a trap and still sprayed the entire area somehow, and I've shot them with a 12 gauge at >15yds in the head without them knowing I was even there and still had them spray...

Comment

Hey Guys, Cats shouldn't be running loose. Cats kill quail, rabbits, turkeys, grouse, squirrels, pheasants, woodcock, song birds and other small wildlife. I posted a trail cam photo of a cat stalking two adult turkey hen birds. If I caught a live cat inside my "Have A Heart" trap, I would take it to the local animal shelter. If it is a feral cat they will be euthanized. Cat owners who let their cats roam, don't know that coyotes, foxes, birds of prey, bears and poisonous snakes could easily kill their cat. Rabies and Lyme Disease can also kill cats.
                  Sorry, for flowing off point from the question. I would live trap the skunks and throw a blanket over the trap so you don't get sprayed. Then transport it way back into the forest and let the skunk go. Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks to my trapping career, I've had significant experience catching skunks in all kinds of traps .
                    I would use a live trap set a foot or two to the side of the hole going under the shed (I am assuming there is a hole), and baited with honey, marshmallows, peanut butter, or, if having to deal with the cats isn't a problem to you, sardines or meat scraps. After you've caught the skunk, you've got two choices, one is killing it, and the other is releasing it far from your house.
                    Contrary to what some "old-trappers" tales say, there is no magic caliber for shooting skunks without them spraying, because the spraying is a reflexive action, so it can happen even when the animal is technically dead. So if you shoot it, you can pretty count on it spraying, and stinking up your trap. You can also kill it by drowning or lethal injection, and both of these methods are much safer in terms of the animal spraying, but I personally don't care for drowning them, and the injections are expensive.
                    If you're going to release it, make sure you cover the trap completely with a heavy blanket when setting it, as the lack of light will keep the skunk from spraying after it's caught. Then you can just pick the trap up, put it in the back of your truck (or car, seriously, I've done it!) and take it at least 10 miles away to a patch of woods, tie a string to the door, stand back (upwind!), pull the door up, and wait for it to go out, which can take a while. I've never had a skunk spray in transport as long as the trap's covered, but I wouldn't drive on real rough roads.
                    Disclaimer: The DNR does not officially recommend catch-and-release for skunks, due to the risk of spreading rabies around the landscape.

Comment

I've shot those caught in live traps from a distance and they do generally spray anyway.
                      It's never occurred to me before, but I've had good luck keeping mice/rats/squirrels/and bats that were already established in barn and attic from coming back with those victor sonic traps. Couldn't hurt to lower one under the shed on an extension cord and see if that keeps them from being comfortable. Not sure if it falls in their hearing range or not.

Comment

and after your done trapping them you can either light em up with your gun of choice or take a propane torch to them once you have caught them or just burn em out from the beginig p.s. before you do anything at least use EYE PROTECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Comment

Skunks are temperate weather creatures and will die if they get wet in cold weather. Is flooding their hole with a garden hose an option for you?

Comment

CoyoteHunterBlake,
                            Forgive me if I misunderstood your post, but are you seriously suggesting he should burn them to death with a propane torch after he's trapped them?!? If so, that is stupid and unnecessarily cruel, and gives all trappers a bad name.

Comment

What I think(hope) Blake meant to suggest was trying to smoke them out from underneath the shed.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• The new king.
                                by 99explorer
                                The queen has twins by C-section, so it is impossible to tell who would have been born first and would become the next king.
                                Now the twins are adults...
                                Yesterday, 04:27 PM
                              • Sisters.
                                by 99explorer
                                Two girls were born to the same mother, on the same day, within minutes of each other, in the same month and year, and yet they are not twins.
                                How...
                                Yesterday, 09:32 AM
                              • Rice for sale.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man can buy rice for $1 per pound in the U.S.A.
                                He buys tons of the stuff, and sells it all in India for a nickel a pound.
                                He soon becomes...
                                08-18-2019, 06:43 PM
                              • Strangers meet.
                                by 99explorer
                                A man is able to contact his long lost brother who he has never met.
                                They agree to meet in a crowded public place.
                                No identification markers...
                                08-16-2019, 11:03 PM
                              • OU football
                                by FirstBubba
                                Big G, thought you might like to know, I'm going to watch some OU football this fall.
                                The orthopaedic surgeon who rebuilt my hip is retired and...
                                08-16-2019, 10:35 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X