Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About how big are Coyote prints. I know I have one in my Neighbor hood because I got one on my Trail Camera but I would like to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About how big are Coyote prints. I know I have one in my Neighbor hood because I got one on my Trail Camera but I would like to

About how big are Coyote prints. I know I have one in my Neighbor hood because I got one on my Trail Camera but I would like to find its den, and not follow some large house cat to my neighbors house. Thank you, Seth

I've read that it's generally on the order of 2 1/2" inches. In practice from the couple of times I've seen them in the act of being laid down that translated into slightly larger than my beagle's tracks, but significantly smaller than my basset mix.
    I have to admit that while I see the tracks coming through the yard on occassion I tend to decide it's coyote based on the size and the trail it lays and what it does and doesn't bother to investigate. I'm sure some people can determine the difference between them and dogs, and I've read of ways, but in practice I can't tell the difference.

Comment

Like jcarlin said, they are about 2.5" long. Their tracks are also about 2" wide. A domestic dog with a 2.5" track will often be wider than 2". The coyotes foot is extremely symmetrical unlike a domestic dog. If you look at the space between the pads of the toes and hells, a coyote will make an X-shape(on the track this part will be raised up between the pads), while domestic dogs will make more of an upside-down Y shape.

Comment

If you look at the space between the pads on the toes and the heel* Sorry, dumb auto-correct on phone...

Comment

Size depends on where you are in the country, the farther south you go, the smaller the coyotes, and the smaller the tracks obviously. If I'm remembering correctly, you live in MA, so your coyotes would be pretty big, in which case JM and jcarlin would be right, about 2 1/2" long by 1 3/4" to 2" wide.
          I've spent pretty much my whole life in the woods following critters around, and I've never had a problem telling coyote tracks from dog tracks, the dog's will usually be bigger, and are almost always more round in shape than the coyote's.
          Cat tracks are usually very easy to tell apart from any kind of canine, the cat's won't have claw marks showing, and will be almost perfectly round.

Comment

All good answers. If you still track a cat, at least you still tracked something. Sometimes that wandering cat will attract a coyote, too.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
              by fitch270
              Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
              Yesterday, 05:55 PM
            • Grips and stocks
              by dewman
              so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
              Yesterday, 08:55 AM
            • Youth pheasant hike
              by fitch270
              Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
              09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
            • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
              by fitch270
              Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
              09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
            • Unusual Sound
              by jhjimbo
              At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
              09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X