Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just shot a nice squirrel and skinned it. i tacked the skin out on a board which was a mistake, because i was gone all weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just shot a nice squirrel and skinned it. i tacked the skin out on a board which was a mistake, because i was gone all weekend

I just shot a nice squirrel and skinned it. i tacked the skin out on a board which was a mistake, because i was gone all weekend and now it is stiff as a board. Is there any hope of recovery for the skin? could i still get it wet, flesh it, tan it, and have hope of a soft skin?

Sure you can wet it and work it up to be tanned. Once you start the process though you will need to finish the job.

Comment

If you've left it that long without fleshing it, I would be a little worried that the hair might have already started to slip, although squirrel hides don't really have that much flesh on them anyway. No harm in soaking, fleshing, and trying to tan it now though.
      I gotta say, I've never seen a tanned squirrel skin...

Comment

Was there salt on the skin? If not it might of started to decompose.
        -I think you lucked out though since squirrel skin is pretty thin. Soak it in your tanning solution for a few days and keep working it as it dries(going to take a lot of work to make it soft).

Comment

My last post is assuming that you got all of the meat/fat off of the skin before leaving it.

Comment

well, i'm purty clueless, i saw a method that you flesh the skin, soak it in eggs and mayo for 24 hours, rinse it off then work it as it dries. but i was in a hurry so i tacked it out on a board, then i was gone all weekend.

Comment

It wont hurt to give it a try.
              -Just add another step: Start soaking in water now and once it is soft fully flesh it(all meat/fat off of the skin). Then soak in the egg/mayo solution.

Comment

I'm pretty skeptical of that tanning formula, I've never heard of one like that before. Guess you can try it though.

Comment

@huntfishtrap,
                  From what I have heard the mayo/egg mixture is very simular to brain tanning. I've never done it, but I do know that it works.

Comment

will the eggs and mayo still work if i leave the skin on?

Comment

Fur! 'scuse me.

Comment

As long as it did not start to rot yes it will.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget