Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good caliber that wont blow a fox apart (I keep furs) but would also handle a coyote?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a good caliber that wont blow a fox apart (I keep furs) but would also handle a coyote?

What is a good caliber that wont blow a fox apart (I keep furs) but would also handle a coyote?

.17 HMR

Comment

.17HMR would work, but I think the .22-250 would be a better choice.
      -You been busy lately? Haven't seen you around much lately.

Comment

I am thinking about a 17 hmr or 17 rem. but still not really sure. I have a 22-250 and judging by what the whistlepigs look like i dont think i want to shoot foxes with it.
        And i have been fairly busy with school ending and finals plus working 6 days a week plus i am a volunteer fire fighter so i dont have a ton of free time. I try to poke my head in every now and again!

Comment

.223 rem or .22mag/wmr

Comment

Smitty that 22-250 will work fine. Just shoot solids and it will zip right thru without much damage.

Comment

.17 Rem., or the .204 Ruger would be my choices. Any of the .22 centerfires are capable of shredding a fox with a hit to the wrong place, and the .17 HMR and the .22 Mag are both a tad light for 'yotes at anything but close ranges.

Comment

Smitty, you have the hot-rod of calibers with the 22-250. I can't remember if you hand load or not. But bullet selection is the answer like DSM said. And if you don't hand load this is the perfect reason to get started. But hey if you are looking for a reason for a new rifle, go get one!! The HMR not good for yotes, The 204 is better but bullets selection is not great. If you like the 17 cal go for the center fire, but I think its a little light for the long shots. Let us know what you get.

Comment

Im not big on 22-250's.. could be people here in my area of new york keep slamming it down my throat its a deer rifle when ik better about these heavy northeast whitetails, but i would say a 22 wmr or 22 hornet if you can find one would be ideal.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                    by fitch270
                    Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                    09-27-2020, 05:55 PM
                  • Grips and stocks
                    by dewman
                    so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                    09-27-2020, 08:55 AM
                  • Youth pheasant hike
                    by fitch270
                    Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                    09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                  • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                    by fitch270
                    Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                    09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                  • Unusual Sound
                    by jhjimbo
                    At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                    09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X