Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hey guys i was wondering what a good pistol would be for coyotes and bobcats and mountain lions thanks and would a .22lr be enou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blake g
    replied
    jm how about a .22lr or .22mag in one of those henry leveractions?

Leave a comment:

• 6phunter
    replied
    leave the .22 cal at home for thses game animals,crippled animals die an agonizing death.I wouldn't want to meet the lion that had been forced to starve because someone failed to place the proper bullet right.

Leave a comment:

• JM
    replied
    @DSM,
    I think I wore myself out more in the process. I went to bed at 3:00 and had to get up at 6:00 to get everything done before it started to rain.

Leave a comment:

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    I don't think there's any state where a 13 year old can legally carry a handgun by themselves, so I think that what kind of pistol you should get is kind of a moot point. If it'll make you feel better, I don't think a backup handgun is super important for coyote/bobcat hunting; for mountain lions maybe, but they aren't exactly numerous in MN anyway. Sorry...

Leave a comment:

• DSMbirddog
    replied
    JM, looks like you wore Blake out. LOL

Leave a comment:

• JM
    replied
    Depends on your local market. I would go to a local gun shop(without the intention of buying or selling) ask ask them what you could get for the rifle/What the Winchester '94s are going for in your area. Like I said, do not be in a hurry to do this. Talk to your dad etc. and make sure the decision is right for you. One thing I have to say is that the '94 has proven itself for over 100 years as an extremely good rifle(In other words, if you miss you know it is your fault, not the rifles. I hear scope hunters blame the scope getting bumped way too often...lol). I have taken hail mary follow up shots through extremely thick brush and the round bullet still gets through it(I have seen .30-06/7mm mag bullets get stopped by brush my .30-30 would laugh at).

Leave a comment:

• blake g
    replied
    alright well thank you so much its like 11:00 here so im gonna go now and well thank you so much and thanks for all the advise bye

Leave a comment:

• blake g
    replied
    so how much could i get for the adl mabey

Leave a comment:

• blake g
    replied
    i have $120 some dollars right now and the .243 is a remington 700 adl synthetic but has like no scratches and approximetly 100 rounds at the most shot through it

Leave a comment:

• JM
    replied
    But take some time to think about it, no need to be in a hurry. Another think you could check out is Hornady's new LEVERution ammunition. I choose not to use it, but I have heard that it increases distance/accuracy quite a bit. One disadvantage is that you can not hold as many rounds in the gun(they are longer than traditional ammunition).

Leave a comment:

• JM
    replied
    Yes, I would if I were you.

Leave a comment:

• blake g
    replied
    so would you recomend selling the .243 and by a 30-30 instea and also i know what you mean my dad found a winchester model 1892 lever action we soaked int in gun oil (not litteraly) and dang you can make that lever go.

Leave a comment:

• JM
    replied
    If you choose to get a rifle I certainly recommend the Winchester '94 in .30-30(Could probably get one for around 400-500 in good condition). It will have to be used (make sure it is from before 1990 and has a good wood stock), the new ones are way over priced and quite frankly look cheap. I have killed an elk and black bear with my .30-30 (neither were giant, but it had no problem taking them down). The gun can hold 7 rounds of traditional ammunition, and with the lever action you can put them on target pretty damn fast. I have shot it my entire life, but with iron sights I can hit a deer sized target at 150 yards free handed with every shot. You would be surprised at how much easier a follow up shot(or moving shot) with iron sights is compared to a scoped rifle with some practice(It is rare when I do not get atleast two shots on a deer before it is out of view, even in thick woods). I have never touched the iron sights ever since I initially sighted it in. I have dropped it 20+ feet while climbing into my tree stand and never even worried about the sights being off(good luck doing that with a scope). To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if you started to prefer it over a scoped .223/.243 after using it. The recoil is really light by the way, it is often compared to a .223/.243.

Leave a comment:

• blake g
    replied
    or what are other calibers you recomend

Leave a comment:

• blake g
    replied
    oops im so sorry! but isnt a coyote a varmint not big game and is the 30-30 the best gun you recomend and also i know i had a post about this a while ago but then what would i use my .243 for if this can be used for deer and well a back up coyote gun

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Christmas present "trade"?
    by dewman
    You fellas remember I posted pics a ways back where I redid my 511-x .22? Well my son called me soon after and asked me to put it up and not shoot it...
    12-01-2021, 02:48 PM
  • Finally filled that elk tag!
    by Ernie
    Sometimes what you think is going to be a relatively easy and quick hunt, turns into a longer process. This has been the case, to fill my cow/calf elk...
    11-30-2021, 01:05 PM
  • Leupold screwed me
    by dewman
    had a little time yesterday afternoon so thought I would take a moment to get my recently "repaired" Leupold vx2 lined out. As it turns out,...
    11-29-2021, 09:57 AM
  • The TGIF Buck
    by fitch270
    First off, a shout out to FB for hanging out with me this afternoon from over 1000 miles away. I’m still a bit dumbfounded about what went down....
    11-26-2021, 11:49 PM
  • Have you tried a "shemagh"?
    by FirstBubba
    I put this on F&S also to give everybody a heads up.

"... The shemagh, also known as the keffiyeh or Arab scarf, is a simple yet...
    11-25-2021, 12:06 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X