Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hey guys i was wondering what a good pistol would be for coyotes and bobcats and mountain lions thanks and would a .22lr be enou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey guys i was wondering what a good pistol would be for coyotes and bobcats and mountain lions thanks and would a .22lr be enou

hey guys i was wondering what a good pistol would be for coyotes and bobcats and mountain lions thanks and would a .22lr be enough thanks

oops i meant for back up i hunt with a .223 for a primary this would be for back up and i shoot long range and have a hike so i cant bring a shotgun unless my bro used it but he would just use his rifle to

Comment

To begin with, I believe a revolver with a longer barrel would be better suited for what you are after(semi-auto pistols aren't all that accurate).
      -A .22 will work in short distances, but pretty much needs to be a head shot to be really effective. If you are wanting to go small, I would atleast go with the .22 MAGNUM.
      -If you want a pistol, I would buy a 1911 chambered in .45ACP(crazy amount of stopping power which I would want if there was an injured mountain lion somewhere in the woods).
      -If you take my advice and buy a revolver, I would get it in .357 Mag. I believe a revolver with a 6" barrel chambered in .357 mag would be the best option for you.

Comment

When I typed "If you want a pistol" I meant to type Semi-Auto. So to be more specific: Look at the Springfield 1911 if you want a Semi-Auto pistol, and look at Smith & Wesson if you want a revolver(they have multiple models).

Comment

thanks jm it seems like you are always the first to reply also do you know what age you need to be to use this fire arm in the woods like I have said before i am 13 and i knoww you have to be 21 to own and carry a pistol but if my dad technically owned it could i still use it only in the woods for back up ans if so could i be able to manage the recoil of the .357mag or .45acp thanks

Comment

I failed to remember that you were 13, I apologize for that. The recoil of a .45/.357 might be a problem. As for whether or not it is even legal for you to carry a pistol alone or not I have no idea. Each state is different, so you will have to check your local regulations. I am currently busy, so check again in a few minutes. I will try to figure more out for you

Comment

well thank you so much i appreciate this so much and once your done doing what ever your doing what gun has morerecoil also i live in minnesota thanks

Comment

Big game may only be shot with single projectile centerfire ammunition(No .22LR) or shotgun(besides a slug). On top of that, from what I have been able to read you can not legally hunt alone with a pistol at your age(I believe you could carry it if accompanied by an adult though).

Comment

thank you so much should i go to my local gun store and verify that and either way my dad would probably come with me. so do you think i could use a .357 mag

Comment

Since you can not carry a pistol, is there any chance you would be open to buying a lighter rifle? If you were open to this, I would look into an 1894 Winchester in .30-30 with iron sights. If you are considering this, I could probably talk you into buying it (I have hunted with a .30-30 my entire life).

Comment

One good thing about a .357 Magnum is that you can shoot a .38 special out a barrel chambered in .357 magnum(not a .357 out of a .38 special barrel though). The .38 special is much lighter in recoil, and could probably get the job done in itself. You could practice with the .38 special and get used to the recoil before moving up to the .357 magnum(although you could handle a .357 already).

Comment

so bring with another rifle with open sights because i have a .243 and like i said the .243 but both with scopes. i also have a .22 lr bolt action would that work or should i get something bigger like you said ?

Comment

i meant i have both the .243 and .223 and both have scopes

Comment

As I stated earlier, a .22LR will not be legal for all game you will be hunting.
                            -If you think your dad will be able to come with you, then I would get a revolver chambered in .357 magnum. If not, I would get a iron sight rifle.

Comment

oops im so sorry! but isnt a coyote a varmint not big game and is the 30-30 the best gun you recomend and also i know i had a post about this a while ago but then what would i use my .243 for if this can be used for deer and well a back up coyote gun

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                                by jhjimbo
                                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                              • Spur of the moment rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                              • The $20 Shooting Shack
                                by fitch270
                                So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                                09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                              • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                                by dewman
                                one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                                09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                              • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                                by dewman
                                So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                                09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X