Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The fields are cut in my area, and the ground hogs are out and about. Any one else out shooting whistle pigs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The fields are cut in my area, and the ground hogs are out and about. Any one else out shooting whistle pigs?

The fields are cut in my area, and the ground hogs are out and about. Any one else out shooting whistle pigs?

We don't have any ground hogs around here, but squirrel season just opened so I have been spending some time doing that. Ticks are pretty bad right now around here though, so I prefer not spending a ton of time walking around in the woods.

Comment

Don't have any around my neck of the woods, either, but they sound like they'd be fun to hunt. Do you eat them? If so, how do you like to cook them? Nothing is in season around here except feral hogs and I'm like JM about not wanting to be out in the woods with all the ticks, snakes, heat and poison ivy right now. Good hunting to you.

Comment

I have ate them before, just deep fried. No ground hogs? Where are you all from? Squirrel season in the spring? Ground and yotes in all year in PA. Its not to hot yet so the mornings are good. Starting out in the 50's so I'm out chasing the song dogs also.

Comment

There are a few ground hogs here in IA but not enough to make it worthwhile. I spent a couple weeks in eastern KY a few years ago and couldn't believe how many you would see in cut hayfields. I'd enjoy controlling them there.

Comment

Like DSMbirddog said, Iowa has very few groundhogs, especially in the NE part where I live. Not certain, but I suspect coyotes are to blame. Did shoot one big fat 'chuck that was nosing around our garden a few weeks ago though...

Comment

Woodchucks are all over the place here but they are a protected species in WI.
              Hey JM squirrel season in the spring, really?
              later,
              charlie

Comment

Squirrel season is only closed during March and April(and parts of Feb./May). Daily limit of 10. There are a lot of small squirrels running around right now though, so you have to be careful of what you shoot at(doesn't help when the trees are full).

Comment

Hi...

Used to hunt woodchucks years ago when the area was dotted with dairy farms...and their den holes were a hazard to any livestock.

But not any more. Rather just watch 'em now, like the one that runs up my driveway each day.

Comment

I sure hope the word on how good a young chuck bar-b -qued grilled slow over some applewood can be doesn;t get out. Nope never hunted them, where can you find them and what song do they whistle? (,)(.)?

Comment

yotes are the #1 predator of whistle pigs havn't seen any on my farm for a couple of years. Use to be an all summer job chasing them with the 22-250/1

Comment

trapper vic, the 22-250 is my hot rod also. It puts them down as far as I can shoot.

Comment

I am going today. Fields just cut. New rig.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                            by jhjimbo
                            Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                            09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                          • Spur of the moment rifle
                            by Amflyer
                            I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                            09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                          • The $20 Shooting Shack
                            by fitch270
                            So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                            09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                          • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                            by dewman
                            one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                            09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                          • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                            by dewman
                            So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                            09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X