Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am 13 years old and I would like to try coyote hunting but I don't have a lot of money. What kind of call and gun would you r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am 13 years old and I would like to try coyote hunting but I don't have a lot of money. What kind of call and gun would you r

I am 13 years old and I would like to try coyote hunting but I don't have a lot of money. What kind of call and gun would you recommend for me?

I started at about your age with mouth calls and a .22 and all I would say you need for calls is an open reed rabbit distress, and a coyote howler. It will take a while for you to get the hang of it and figure out what works, but it will come together. You can just use a .22 with stinger ammo. You have to let them get close and hit them good, but it works just fine. Don't be discouraged if you can't afford all of the fancy stuff. I've killed a pile of them with just an open reed call and a .22.

Comment

-I agree with Tyler.
      -As a second option, if you can find a good deal you could get a .243 or a .30-30(I am a big fan of the .30-30 so I had to sneak it into my post) and you could use it for pretty much any animal in North America aside from a big brown bear(or small game - a .243/.30-30 would ruin a rabbit/squirrel).

Comment

I started with a .22 magnum and a cheap BSA 4x scope. Like Tyler said, an open reed distress call is a really affordable, versatile, and effective way to go. In late winter and spring, try a howler. The key to success is to make sure there are coyotes where you're hunting. it sounds obvious, but if you know for sure there's dogs around, you'll learn very quickly what works and what doesn't. good luck. if you can trick song dogs, you'll be able to hunt anything that walks.

Comment

Yeah, the other guys are dead-on. I would say that you don't even need a howler - just get a good quality open-reed rabbit-in-distress call, and with a little practice you'll be able to howl just fine with it. I have one by Mark Zepp, don't remember the model, and I can make every common predator hunting sound (jackrabbit, cottontail, fawn bawl, howl, ki-yi) on it with ease.
          As far as a gun goes, if you already have a .22 LR, I would just use that with some CBI Velocitors. But if you are going to buy one, I would say you should get a Marlin or Savage .22 Magnum, they'll be about the same price as a regular .22 LR, but the Mag has a lot more pop. Pair either one with a cheap Tasco 3-9x40 .22 scope and you'll be set.

Comment

I used a long range tweety call, found at Cabelas or any other hunting shop, great rabbit in distress reed call. I would say use a .22mag it's very cheap and works great. If your dad hunts and is looking to purchase it for you, contemplate a .223; the variety on ammunitions in that caliber have grown rapidly through the past years!

Comment

do you have any rifles bigger than a .22lr? also how close are you going to be shooting because you could just use a shotgun in 12ga or even 10 ga.I use a .223 remington 700 sps varmint it shoots pretty well but it is good for a beginer. it has a relible action but the accuracy isnt as good as i thought but it is defenetly good enough to hit a coyote wear you want it. also look into a winchester model 70 coyote in .243, tikka t3 light in i think they have .223 but if they dont go .243 and also i recomend the browning a-bolt and x-bolt but they are pretty expensive.for shotguns i would recomend a remington 870 browning bps bennelli guns a great and so are mossbergs and what i love about mossbergs is they are so cheap but never break down on you. hope this helps

Comment

savage axis .243 for $299 at gandermt.com

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                  by fitch270
                  Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                  Yesterday, 05:55 PM
                • Grips and stocks
                  by dewman
                  so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                  Yesterday, 08:55 AM
                • Youth pheasant hike
                  by fitch270
                  Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                  09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                  by fitch270
                  Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                  09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                • Unusual Sound
                  by jhjimbo
                  At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                  09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X