Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the hook on a birdknife used for and how is it used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the hook on a birdknife used for and how is it used?

What is the hook on a birdknife used for and how is it used?

It's a gut hook. I have never used one, but I think they are meant to aid in field dressing a bird. I have heard that you can stick it in the anus, twist it around and pull most of the guts out. Seems like that would be a sure way to spill contents as it tears guts apart. I cut a small slit at the base of the breast, cut around the anus and pull everything out in one glob with my fingers. This has seemed to work pretty well for me in my 35 years of hunting.

Comment

Hold the bird by the back with one hand breast up, insert the hook through the vent (birds do not an anus)just short of the handle, rotate the hook and gently pull it out; the intestines will come out on the hook. You can reinsert the hook if you don't get them all the first time.
      It is wise to remove the bird intestines as quickly as possible. They are the main cause of gamey flavors. Frequently the intestines are ruptured due to shot.
      later,
      charlie

Comment

I've seen several articles that say you should age your birds with the guts in. Ihavn't tried it yet but I'm thinking you probably would not want to use a gut hook after they have hung 4-5 days. What do you guys think?

Comment

Hi...

Yes, it's a gut hook. I would recommend opening up the breasts of smaller birds to be sure that all of the innards are removed.

On larger birds such as pheasants ,ducks and geese, I think you would be better off just using your hand, as with a chicken, for example.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
            by fitch270
            Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
            09-27-2020, 05:55 PM
          • Grips and stocks
            by dewman
            so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
            09-27-2020, 08:55 AM
          • Youth pheasant hike
            by fitch270
            Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
            09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
          • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
            by fitch270
            Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
            09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
          • Unusual Sound
            by jhjimbo
            At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
            09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X