Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i am hunting coyotes this year with a 243 loaded with 87gr HPBT i have a swfa ss 10x42 scope on my gun with this set up i am get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i am hunting coyotes this year with a 243 loaded with 87gr HPBT i have a swfa ss 10x42 scope on my gun with this set up i am get

i am hunting coyotes this year with a 243 loaded with 87gr HPBT i have a swfa ss 10x42 scope on my gun with this set up i am getting 1/2in groups at 100yds now i have been shooting at longer ranges with this gun (600 to 700yds) and can hit a milk jug very consistently at those ranges. anyways on to the question my range finder is having a hard time getting the range its a nikon 1200 and it really ticks me off when i have a coyote out there and i can't get a dumb reading from my range finder now should i start using the mildots in my scope to range? if so what is the average width of a coyote from the belly to the top of the back? or should i keep trying to get a reading from my range finder? any ideas as to why it is having such a hard time? thanks!

start ranging the distances before hand with land marks if the spots you go to are a regular routine, otherwise I'd start training my eye to roughly range distances by sight and use your scope.

Comment

I agree with Yoda. Sit down and find the distance of a rock, bush, etc so that you will always have a general idea of how far away the coyote is when you compare it to the rock or whatever you mark.

Comment

i forgot to say that i do mostly spot and stalk so i am usually not in the same spot twice

Comment

That's a tough one.....maybe set up decoys or different targets at different distances(500+ yards) and just guess the distance when you shoot until you are getting good at guessing? Best I can think of. Make sure you move them around/don't shoot in same order. Start with a big target and gradually go smaller.

Comment

best method is to know by sight your average distance. You may not always have the opportunity to put a range finder on the animal, by being able to judge by eye you'll put more dogs on the ground

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
              by jhjimbo
              Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
              09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
            • Spur of the moment rifle
              by Amflyer
              I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
              09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
            • The $20 Shooting Shack
              by fitch270
              So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
              09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
            • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
              by dewman
              one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
              09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
            • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
              by dewman
              So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
              09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X