Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were out varmint hunting on your property one night, and came across some poachers. but they didn't know you were there a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were out varmint hunting on your property one night, and came across some poachers. but they didn't know you were there a

If you were out varmint hunting on your property one night, and came across some poachers. but they didn't know you were there and you didn't have a phone to call the local game warden what would you do. just wonderin.

This can be a very dangerous situation, the best thing to do is get to the closest phone and call the game warden. approaching them will only make them agitated and you don't know what they will do then.

Comment

I would probably Back out and get to a phone. No sense in trying to get yourself killed over it. Operation Game Thief in Missouri. Definately want them caught.

Comment

Since they are on my property I would approach them introduce myself, chat and see what exactly is going on. It would be hours or days before any law enforcement would show up here. We are on our own in this area.
        In your scenario how would you know they are poachers and not simply trespassers or moonlight lovers?
        later,
        charlie

Comment

I think a warning shot would get your point across and for the most part not disclose your location. I'm a little unconventional when it comes to people breaking laws, because law enforcement can only do so much and more than likely these people who are tresspassing probably do it often, not to mention in my area trespasing is nothing more than a slap on the wrist. By no means approach them!

Comment

Read a story in missouri about a guy who approached a tresspasser on his land during opening gun season and the guy stabbed him in the chest and ran away =\(Didnt go very deep so the guy was able to get to a hospital and get it stiched up)....gotta be careful never know what will happen. Personally, I would most likely something like what Charlie Elk earlier posted. Never yell at a poacher/tresspasser no matter how badly you may want to.

Comment

Maybe get a make on the truck or car they were in or a plate number, and call as soon as possible.

Comment

If they're on your property, you probably know where all the access points are. Find their vehicle and get it's description and plate numbers, then get out of there and make the phone call ASAP. Even if you can't prove they're poaching, you can still nail their asses to the wall for hunting on private ground without permission and trespassing.

Comment

The warning shot for sure after you get the descripition and plate numbers. If possible get head count of the poachers as well since more info the better chances of prosecuting all of them not just the owner of the vehicle

Comment

I wouldn't fire a warning shot...what if the guy/girl(s) think you are shooting at them and return fire?

Comment

Warning shots!? You guys are joking, right?
                      Suppose the perceived poacher is just someone trying to feed their family? If this were the case there are numerous better ways of dealing with the situation.
                      later,
                      charlie

Comment

I would back off a ways and get someting ,a tree,dirt enbankment between my self and them and yell so they could hear me,telling them to leave,NO warning shot is neccesary or prudent.NOW they know you are about at night,and most likely will never return.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                          by jhjimbo
                          Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                          09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                        • Spur of the moment rifle
                          by Amflyer
                          I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                          09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                        • The $20 Shooting Shack
                          by fitch270
                          So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                          09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                        • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                          by dewman
                          one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                          09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                        • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                          by dewman
                          So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                          09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X