Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help fast please to make the decision tonight. For shooting small game, including coyotes, which of these two rifles would

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help fast please to make the decision tonight. For shooting small game, including coyotes, which of these two rifles would

Need help fast please to make the decision tonight. For shooting small game, including coyotes, which of these two rifles would be the better choice, a .22 Magnum or a .17 HMR. Dont want to buy wrong caliber so need your help quick. Thanks loads---Gatorbait

.17HMR for coyotes, if it is a squirrel make sure you headshot though or it will destroy the body.

Comment

Only problem with .17hmr is that wind will effect the bullet a lot after 75 yards.

Comment

You know what, I have to say it. I think you would be better off buying the 22-250 or a .223 for coyotes.

Comment

I love a 22 mag. but I know coyotes can be tough especially when shot in the body if you only intend to shoot in the head either gun will work, however, I must agree with JM1993 a .223 is a safe choice. Some guys even hunt deer with them down here!

Comment

between the two ? .22mag

Comment

22 mag for small game, but for the yotes its kind of light. I think you will do better for the yotes with a center fire. I use a 22-250 and have had a few run off with shots not in the boiler room.

Comment

.22 Mag all the way! For squirrels, rabbits and such it is less destructive than the HMR, if you use soft point or FMJ bullets you can even chest shoot them and not do too much damage (although why anyone would want to chest shoot them with anything is beyond me!).
                Optimally I wouldn't use anything smaller than a .204 Ruger for coyotes, as they are tough critters, but if I had to choose between those two I would definitely use the .22 Mag, as it has significantly more energy out to about 100 yards, and beyond that you should go for head shots no matter which one you use. (As a side note, I can personally attest to the effectiveness of the .22 Mag on 'yotes, I've only shot at one with it, but I got that one. It was a chest shot at about 70 yards - he ran 50 yards and fell over dead, and that was with FMJs I was squirrel hunting with!)
                .22 Mag is also a little cheaper to shoot as well, if that makes a difference.

Comment

The answer you seek, Grasshopper, is not on your list. The caliber you are looking for is .17 WSM.

17 Winchester Super Magnum

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                    by fitch270
                    Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                    09-27-2020, 05:55 PM
                  • Grips and stocks
                    by dewman
                    so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                    09-27-2020, 08:55 AM
                  • Youth pheasant hike
                    by fitch270
                    Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                    09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                  • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                    by fitch270
                    Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                    09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                  • Unusual Sound
                    by jhjimbo
                    At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                    09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X