Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have heard (rumors) that the wolves the Goverment planted here are from Canada and are Timber Wolves. The rumor is that the Ti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have heard (rumors) that the wolves the Goverment planted here are from Canada and are Timber Wolves. The rumor is that the Ti

I have heard (rumors) that the wolves the Goverment planted here are from Canada and are Timber Wolves. The rumor is that the Timber Wolf is much more agressive than the once native Gray Wolf, and will actually kill for sport? If this is true is that why we are having such problems with them descimating elk herds and livestock?

Wrong the wolves they planted are grey wolves and are much more aggresive than timber wolves. Idaho had timber wolves until the grey wolves killed them or ran them out.

Comment

I believe timber wolves and gray wolves are the same with very few differences. Think grizzly bear and brown bear. As far I know wolves do not kill for sport, but can cause problems hunting for food.

Comment

X2DKiller, so if this is true, do you know why they did not plant the once native timber wolf? Also if the Timber wolf is so much more aggresive is that why it seems like there is so many problems or is it just like that with any type of wolf?, or maybe just because the numbers are so high? Is the gray wolf just a bigger timber wolf?
        Also may I ask where you got your information?

Comment

heres a study they did up in alaska, =---> http://www.farnorthscience.com/2007/10/01/ak-sci-forum/when-biologists-stocked-alaska-with-wolves/ I also remember reading about this somewhere else, they said the wolves at one point was fighting a war between 2 huge packs. i bet the last one chewed on his own rear legs at some point.

Comment

Wow that is a great article. Its sad that studys like that are not shown or as popular as hunting season on wolves and how bad it is. Most people just don't understand due to being illinformed or ignorant.
            I believe it is ok to have wolves, just part of nature, but they need to be managed just like any other game species. What happens when we have too many deer, they issue more tags. Whats different,? wolves are prettier?

Comment

(Off topic) DJH your from St. Ignatius?, I beleive I read in a thread. I'm from Twin Bridges/Dillon. I have friends that live in Dixon, I think that is close to there.
              (On topic) Do you see a lot of wolves up there? I heard they are terrible around Kalispel. It seems like they are getting worse and worse down here. Even had pictures going around of a big black wolf right outside of Twin Bridges, not even 5 miles, right next to the river supposedly chasing deer.

Comment

A Fish and Wildlife office came to a local meeting a few years ago to speak about the wolves of Alberta. He said it was a little understood fact that our breed of wolf made the more Northern variety look like pussy cats. The have unrivalled jaw strength that allows them to actually take chunks out of the side of a moose or elk they are trying to take down. They are very big and tough characters. At that time through to the present the wolf packs are such successful hunters that they pose a game management problem.
                They are killing too many game animals and the control of their population is problematic. Several factors compound the difficulty. They do not have a particularly good coat so trappers are not interested. The hunter who encounters a wolf is unlikely to shoot as the report of the rifle might ruin his chance at the big game he is stalking in that area. The Officer encouraged us to take that shot if we hoped to maintain the populations of moose and elk. Didn't Montana import wolves from Alberta? Oh, oh!

Comment

montananative, just moved to Ronan Montana from st.ignatius its about 20 miles from dixon. Hey you know what my profile photo was taken right behind dixon :-) to tell the truth. They say the wolves are bad but I don't see them ever, & tracked one around last year shed hunting for a few days & found the only thing it was eating was snow bunny's. I believe poaching is why 99% of our animal herds are decreasing rapidly & the numbers been on a down slope way before they brought more wolves here. I love wolves, I also would love to hunt them, if wolves was so bad how come we domesticated them & turned them into our best friends (dogs). Just imagine if we knew how many lives the wolves saved threw history, instead the ignorant focus on the bad things about them & spread there ignorant thoughts. Who's afraid of the big bad wolf :-)

Comment

of course common sense tells us wolves shouldn't be in alot of areas now days. We shouldn't hate a species just because it chooses not to understand our human borders. more people probably have drowned in a tea spoon of water then being eaten by wolves, The study proves they will turn it into a dog eat dog world if times get tuff &really we humans are just the same. Also I would agree if a private land owner has one on his land he shouldn't need a permit should be the land owners choice to shoot, I know they probably give the ranchers hell but there not damaging the ranchers income as bad as this nations politicians :-)

Comment

DJH I know the Superintendent at the high school in Ronan, he used to be the superintendent in Twin Bridges.
                      SO first off I want to say so far this has been a civil and respectful thread. I hope it stays this way, discussing wolves can get ugly.
                      I agree that poaching is a huge problem on game. But it seems like the wolves may be making a big dent also.
                      I copied this out of OL's article Elk Forecast. The northern Yellowstone herd is down to 6,000 animals from 19,000 in 1996. Areas north of Yellowstone National Park have seen permits cut and over-the-counter tags change to a draw. Populations in the West Fork of the Bitterroot River and the lower Clark Fork River are 60 percent below objective with just 7 calves per 100 cows. All antlerless tags have been cut and bulls will be hard to come by. Elk populations are well below objectives throughout much of Region 1 in the northwest. Hunters will find elk widely dispersed and wary throughout their traditional ranges in the western third of the state where wolves howl.
                      Also I beleive it was in '95 or 96' that they reintroduced the wolf in the park.

Comment

wolves gota eat to :-), heres what i found The number of grizzly bears seen on the northern range during elk calving season has decreased slightly in recent years. Also, the wolf population on the northern range inside Yellowstone National Park has dropped from 94 wolves in 2007 to 37 wolves in 2010. Biologists suspect predator numbers may be responding somewhat to the decline in the elk population. read here =--> http://www.newwest.net/topic/article/winter_count_shows_continued_decline_in_yellowston e_elk/C75/L41/ Befor we put the blame on wolves we need to know how much other predator numbers went up like bears,coyotes,mountain lions. we need to know how many died from sickness, also i bet they dont know how many elk they lose to poaching. How can we be mad at wolves when there killing to eat & poachers kill most the time just for trophy. You know they have caught life time poachers who used night vision & silenced 22's, they shoot them leave them to die slow & come back later for there loot.

Comment

before we try & restrain other species we need to restrain our own, We must remember the animals was here before us & I'm sure if we use the good heart the creator gave us we will see that wolves have the right to hunt along side humans or in there own packs. We are borrowing from creation & we are not the creator so we must respect all things created equal. We are not the master were just another big link in the chain that leads back to the great spirit. Once we break to many links in the chain theres no way these links can help pull us back towards the creator! just my point of view :-)

Comment

Great info thanks.
                            That makes a lot of sense about what you are saying.
                            I know I am pretty biased about the wolves since I am friends with so many ranchers around here, there thoughts have kinda rubbed off on me. But I am trying to just understand it all better and get my facts straight. Thats kinda why I put this ? on here.

Comment

Check out lobowatch.com

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pay it forward
                                by fitch270
                                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                                Yesterday, 01:34 PM
                              • Reloading Gear Order
                                by fitch270
                                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                                by dewman
                                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                                by Ernie
                                Any handgun hunters here?
                                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM
                              • What are you hunting with this season? Pics please!
                                by Ernie
                                I am new here, so I’d like to get you to know you better
                                hi primarily hunt with a variety of handguns for big game, and I like shooting those...
                                10-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X